Resultant force acting on axial compressor

In summary, Lukasz has a problem with fluid flow reaction force which acts on the compressor. He wonders in which direction resultant force will be directed. He understands that air is flowing from left to right with inlet velocity V1. Therefore, the force which gas exerts on the compressor inlet is equal to: F1s=P1*A1, where: P1 - static force on the compressor inlet; A1 - compressor inlet area. When V1 differ from 0, there is also a dynamic force: F1d= 1/2*rho*V1^2. Therefore, the total force which acts on the inlet is equal to: F1=F1s
Ketler
Hello,

I've got one problem with fluid flow reaction force which acts on compressor. I hope you can help me with that.

Here is a sketch to my question:

sketch.jpg

I wonder in which direction resultant force will be directed.

I understand that air is flowing from left to right with inlet velocity V1.

Therefore force which gas exerts on compressor inlet is equal to:

F1s=P1*A1,

where:
P1 - static force on compressor inlet;
A1 - compressor inlet area.

F1s it is a force which compressor inlet feels when V1=0.

When V1 differ from 0, there is also dynamic force:

F1d = 1/2*rho*V1^2

Therefore total force which acts on inlet is equal to:

F1=F1s + F1d.

This is clear. I have problem with compressor outlet.

First, why exit pressures P2, is directed towards the compressor inlet (from right to left)?
It shouldn't be like in inlet section (from left to right)? Could you explain me why is that?

In textbooks there is equation for reaction force at compressour outlet:

F2=F2s + F2d,

where:

F1d = 1/2*rho*V2^2

And here is my second question:
sketch2.jpg

How gas with velocity V2 can act on compressor when it is after the last rotor/stator in the compressor?

I understand when gas with velocity V2 hits the last rotor/stator leading edge, it exerts than force which pull the compressor from left to right, but how gas which is after the last blade can affect the compressor?

I know that there are very silly questions, but I hope you can help me with that.

Regards,
Lukasz.

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 416
Engineering news on Phys.org
In my judgement, this problem is analyzed totally incorrectly. This problem should be solved using a macroscopic momentum balance on the fluid in the control volume between the compressor inlet and exit. This will tell you the horizontal force that the compressor is exerting on the fluid, which is equal and opposite to the horizontal force that the fluid is exerting on the compressor.

At the inlet and outlet to the control volume, what is the force acting on the fluid? At the outlet of the control volume, what is the force acting on the fluid? What is the rate of momentum flow into the control volume? What is the rate of momentum flow out of the control volume? Let F be the horizontal force that the compressor exerts on the fluid. Write a macroscopic momentum balance on the fluid in the control volume, including the force F. Let's see what you come up with.

Chet

1. What is the resultant force acting on an axial compressor?

The resultant force acting on an axial compressor is the combined effect of all the individual forces acting on the compressor. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the forces.

2. How is the resultant force calculated for an axial compressor?

The resultant force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on the compressor using vector addition. This involves breaking down each force into its horizontal and vertical components and then adding them together to find the resultant force.

3. What factors can affect the resultant force on an axial compressor?

The resultant force on an axial compressor can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the compressor, the angle at which the air enters the compressor, the design and shape of the compressor blades, and the air pressure and temperature.

4. Why is it important to consider the resultant force on an axial compressor?

Considering the resultant force on an axial compressor is important because it can have a significant impact on the performance and efficiency of the compressor. If the resultant force is too high, it can cause excessive wear and tear on the compressor and decrease its lifespan.

5. How can the resultant force on an axial compressor be managed or controlled?

The resultant force on an axial compressor can be managed or controlled by adjusting the design of the compressor blades, maintaining proper air pressure and temperature, and regularly monitoring and balancing the forces acting on the compressor. It is also important to ensure that the compressor is operating within its recommended speed and load limits.