Resultant wind speed/direction .

In summary, you can calculate an average wind speed and direction by taking the LHS of this formula and adding the individual vectors, and the RHS is the resultant.
BT80
Resultant wind speed/direction...

Hi, new here and am hoping this is in the correct forum and if so that someone can help with this little problem.

Basically I would like to know if there is a "quick" way of calculating an average or resultant wind speed and direction given a selection of 5 or so winds. My aim is to establish the mean wind that acts on a parachutist dropped from, say, 12000ft. If I take off in my plane and note the wind speeds and directions at 2000ft intervals as I climb up I can then manually plot them on paper, draw the resultant and measure the necessary angle; the length of the resultant divided by the number of samples gives me a wind strength. This average wind speed and direction can then be used to calculate the release point for the parachutist so that he lands on the drop zone.

What I was wondering was if there was a way of calculating it accurately and, importantly, quickly using a calculator, rather than drawing it out on graph paper. I can obviously calculate a resultant from 2 winds by dredging up some schoolboy math but anymore than 2 and I'm stumped (other than repeatedly resolving winds in pairs until left with one resultant!)

I'm no math/physics genius so please be gentle!

Physics news on Phys.org

BT80 said:
Hi, new here and am hoping this is in the correct forum and if so that someone can help with this little problem.

Basically I would like to know if there is a "quick" way of calculating an average or resultant wind speed and direction given a selection of 5 or so winds. My aim is to establish the mean wind that acts on a parachutist dropped from, say, 12000ft. If I take off in my plane and note the wind speeds and directions at 2000ft intervals as I climb up I can then manually plot them on paper, draw the resultant and measure the necessary angle; the length of the resultant divided by the number of samples gives me a wind strength. This average wind speed and direction can then be used to calculate the release point for the parachutist so that he lands on the drop zone.

What I was wondering was if there was a way of calculating it accurately and, importantly, quickly using a calculator, rather than drawing it out on graph paper. I can obviously calculate a resultant from 2 winds by dredging up some schoolboy math but anymore than 2 and I'm stumped (other than repeatedly resolving winds in pairs until left with one resultant!)

I'm no math/physics genius so please be gentle!

Real problem or homework problem (I won't give my guesses on a real problem, since I don't want to kill a real parachutist). Do you mean 5 simultaneous winds?

LHS of this formula adds the individual vectors, RHS is the resultant (only works with cartesian coordinates):
(v1x,v1y,v1z)+(v2x,v2y,v2z)+...(v5x,v5y,v5z)=(v1x+v2x+v3x+v4x+v5x, v1y+v2y+...v5y, v1z+v2z+ ...v5z).

Again, just my guess.

Edit: I just re-read your post and understand the winds are not simultaneous, so the resultant gets divided by 5 as you said. Also, I realized I don't know how the windspeed is specified, ie. is it already in cartesian form, or is it specified by speed and angle?

Last edited:

Hi and thanks for the reply. This is based on a "real" problem; I'm a pilot and we normally calculate this using a pda with an excel spreadsheet on it. I've "reverse engineered" a lot of the formulae in the spreadsheet (I'm nosy like that) but was a little stumped with the wind vector thing. If the pda goes the way of most things electronic when they're needed most (!) then we revert to the manually plotted vector diagram to resolve an average wind, which works fine.

The winds are recorded every thousand feet as we climb up to drop altitude. They are recorded in degrees magnetic and nautical miles per hour (kts). Thus a wind out of the north east at 10kts would be recorded in pilot-speak as "045 at 10". I guess I would need to resolve that into cartesian vectors then?

Whilst the winds are not recorded simultaneously they are treated as being such for the purpose of the exercise. Put them all into the spreadsheet and it miraculously spits out an average wind for us. :smile:

Don't worry though - this is purely a personal interest/idle curiosity thing by the way - I shan't be scattering parachutists across the countryside if I can't work this out! :eek:

BT80 said:
Hi and thanks for the reply. This is based on a "real" problem; I'm a pilot
BT80 said:
Don't worry though - this is purely a personal interest/idle curiosity thing by the way - I shan't be scattering parachutists across the countryside if I can't work this out! :eek:

Whew! :rofl: I shall continue with my guessing then. :smile:

BT80 said:
The winds are recorded every thousand feet as we climb up to drop altitude. They are recorded in degrees magnetic and nautical miles per hour (kts). Thus a wind out of the north east at 10kts would be recorded in pilot-speak as "045 at 10". I guess I would need to resolve that into cartesian vectors then?

Yes, I would try resolving into cartesian components.

For a given speed v, and direction θ:
vx=vsinθ, vy=vcosθ

Then adding:
(v1x,v2y)+(v2x,v2y)+...(v5x,v5y)=(v1x+v2x+v3x+v4x+v5x, v1y+v2y+...v5y)=(vRx,vRy)

From the resultant (vRx,vRy),
get the magnitude: vR=sqrt(vRx2+vRy2)
and direction: θR=arctan(vRy/vRx)

What is resultant wind speed/direction?

Resultant wind speed/direction is the overall wind speed and direction at a specific location, taking into account the combination of all wind speeds and directions at that location. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is resultant wind speed/direction calculated?

Resultant wind speed/direction is calculated using vector addition, which combines the individual wind speeds and directions at a specific location. This can be done using mathematical formulas or graphical methods.

What factors can affect resultant wind speed/direction?

The main factors that can affect resultant wind speed/direction are the local topography, temperature, and pressure gradients. Other factors such as the Coriolis effect and friction also play a role in determining the overall wind speed and direction at a specific location.

Why is resultant wind speed/direction important to consider?

Resultant wind speed/direction is important to consider because it can have a significant impact on various industries and activities, such as aviation, shipping, agriculture, and renewable energy. Understanding the resultant wind speed/direction can help in making informed decisions and planning for these activities.

How is resultant wind speed/direction measured?

Resultant wind speed/direction is typically measured using anemometers and wind vanes, which can provide information on both the speed and direction of the wind. Remote sensing techniques, such as Doppler radar and satellite imagery, can also be used to measure resultant wind speed/direction from a distance.