Resulting velocity of 2 particles

In summary, the attempted solution for the velocity of particles A and B is different from the correct solution given by my teacher. vB, 5.6066 m/s at -7.9413 deg, is correct. The solution of your teacher is impossible, because in the solution of your teacher, the final kinetic energy of particle A greatly exceeds the total initial energy of the system, which would violate conservation of energy.Thanks for your reply, nvn. Actually I figured out where my teacher made a mistake. Obviously he didn't multiply 1.35Nm by 20 while converting the unit from ft*lb.1{ft}\cdot{lb}\approx1.355817456Nm\cos
disclaimer
[solved] resulting velocity of 2 particles

Homework Statement

mc809l.jpg

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum

[tex]m_Av_A'=m_Bv_B'[/tex]

[tex]v_A'=\frac{m_B}{m_A}v_B'[/tex]

conservation of energy

[tex]V=\frac{1}{2}m_A(v_A')^2+\frac{1}{2}m_B(v_B')^2=\frac{1}{2}m_A\left(\frac{m_B}{m_A}v_B'\right)^2+\frac{1}{2}m_B(v_B')^2[/tex]

[tex]v_B'=\sqrt{\frac{2m_AV}{m_B(m_A+m_B)}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]m_A=0.9Kg[/tex]

[tex]m_B=1.35Kg[/tex]

[tex]V=1.35Nm[/tex]

[tex]v_B'=\sqrt{\frac{2\cdot0.9\cdot1.35}{1.35(0.9+1.35)}}=\sqrt{0.8}\approx{0.8944[m/s]}[/tex]

[tex]v_A'=\frac{1.35}{0.9}\cdot0.8944=1.3416[m/s][/tex]

nqejyd.jpg

from the law of cosines

[tex]v_B=\sqrt{6^2+0.8944^2-2\cdot6\cdot0.8944\cdot\cos{60^o}}\approx5.607[m/s][/tex]

from the law of sines

[tex]\sin{\beta}=\frac{\sin{60^o}\cdot0.8944}{5.607}\approx0.1381[/tex]

[tex]\beta\approx7.94^o[/tex]

As you can see that result is totally different from the solution given by my teacher. I also get different results for the other velocity. So either my calculations are incorrect or my teacher gave us wrong results. I'll be grateful for any help, thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
disclaimer: Nice work. Your answer for vB, 5.6066 m/s at -7.9413 deg, is correct. The solution of your teacher is wrong.

We can see that the solution of your teacher is impossible, because in the solution of your teacher, the final kinetic energy of particle A greatly exceeds the total initial energy of the system, which would violate conservation of energy.

Thanks for your reply, nvn. Actually I figured out where my teacher made a mistake. Obviously he didn't multiply 1.35Nm by 20 while converting the unit from ft*lb.

[tex]1{ft}\cdot{lb}\approx1.355817456Nm[/tex]

That said, if I assume the potential energy to be 27Nm, then my results are almost the same as those given by my teacher.

I interpreted what you wrote as meaning, "Obviously, he didn't multiply 20 ft*lbf by 1.35582 N*m/(ft*lbf) while converting from ft*lbf."

By the way, you and/or your teacher made some mistakes writing unit symbols.
(1) There should always be a space between the numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 6 m/s, not 6m/s.
(2) N*m needs to have an intervening space or symbol, not Nm.
(3) The unit symbol for kilogram is spelled kg, not Kg (whereas Kg would mean something like kelvin-gram).
(4) ft*lb should be ft*lbf, whereas lb means pound mass (lbm).
(5) [m/s] should be m/s, whereas [m/s] implies dimensional analysis, which uses different symbols than the unit symbols.

See international standard for writing units; i.e., ISO 31-0. See NIST for the correct spelling of any unit symbol.

Last edited:
Frankly, I've only seen lb for both force and mass used in books. It always seemed quite confusing to me.

Good point. And lbf versus lbm makes a difference in mathematics applications (or at least some mathematics applications), not to mention lbm is an incoherent physical unit, and can't be used as-is for this problem, as it would need to be converted to slugs.

And here is one more mistake by your teacher.
(6) ft/lbf is a unit of flexibility, not work; work is ft*lbf, or N*m, or J.

I know you caught that one. Also, in all the examples I typed in this thread, the asterisk can instead be a half-high dot, if available.

Related to Resulting velocity of 2 particles

1. What is the definition of resulting velocity?

Resulting velocity is the combined velocity of two particles after they collide or interact with each other. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of each particle's velocity.

2. How is resulting velocity calculated?

Resulting velocity can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This equation takes into account the masses and velocities of the two particles.

3. Can resulting velocity be negative?

Yes, resulting velocity can be negative if the two particles are moving in opposite directions with different velocities. In this case, the resulting velocity would be in the direction of the particle with the larger magnitude of velocity.

4. What factors can affect the resulting velocity of two particles?

The resulting velocity of two particles can be affected by the masses, velocities, and types of forces involved in the interaction. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces can also play a role in determining the resulting velocity.

5. How is resulting velocity different from initial velocity?

Resulting velocity is the combined velocity of two particles after they have interacted, while initial velocity is the velocity of each particle before the interaction. In other words, resulting velocity takes into account the changes in velocity caused by the interaction, while initial velocity only considers the particles' velocities before the interaction.