Retardation of a Balloon's Vertical velocity

In summary, there have been reports of balloon flights in the 19th century with ascent speeds of up to 15 m/s and descent speeds of up to -40 m/s. However, it is generally believed that balloons cannot exceed ascent speeds of 10 m/s and descent speeds of 6 m/s. An email suggests otherwise, but the possibility of a balloon ascending or descending faster than 10 m/s is questionable due to air resistance. The relevant formula for calculating this involves the law of Stokes, but it is uncertain if Newton's law should also be used. Weather balloon launches may provide some of the fastest initial velocities, as seen in videos online.
Lunar_Lander
Because I am working quite a lot with balloons (still theoretically though), I have come across reports of some balloon flights in the 19th century, which gave balloon ascent speeds of up to 15 m/s and descent speeds up to -40 m/s. I agreed to the comment to that text, that normally balloons would never exceed ascent speeds of 10 m/s and descent speeds of about 6 m/s.

However, I now have received an E-Mail saying that there should be no problem at all that a balloon could ascent or descent faster than 10 m/s. I think that is not possible due to air resistance, and I would like to calculate for an example. If we consider the forces acting, we got the gravitational force acting straight downward, and the lift straight upward. If the balloon ascents, friction will point downward too (in case of descent upward). The relevant formula should be, given that the balloon is a sphere, [tex]\textbf{F}=6*\pi*\eta*v[/tex], according to the law of Stokes. Is that correct or should Newton's law be used?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lunar_Lander said:
Because I am working quite a lot with balloons (still theoretically though), I have come across reports of some balloon flights in the 19th century, which gave balloon ascent speeds of up to 15 m/s and descent speeds up to -40 m/s. I agreed to the comment to that text, that normally balloons would never exceed ascent speeds of 10 m/s and descent speeds of about 6 m/s.

However, I now have received an E-Mail saying that there should be no problem at all that a balloon could ascent or descent faster than 10 m/s. I think that is not possible due to air resistance, and I would like to calculate for an example. If we consider the forces acting, we got the gravitational force acting straight downward, and the lift straight upward. If the balloon ascents, friction will point downward too (in case of descent upward). The relevant formula should be, given that the balloon is a sphere, [tex]\textbf{F}=6*\pi*\eta*v[/tex], according to the law of Stokes. Is that correct or should Newton's law be used?

I'm no help on the calculations, but it would seem that weather baloon launches would provide some of the fastest initial velocities. I googled vidoes on weather baloon launch, and got plenty of hits. Take a look at the 2nd video on the hit list -- initial takeoff velocity looks to be more than 10m/s:

http://www.google.com/search?q=weat...:1&source=vgc&hl=en&aq=1sx&oq=weather+baloon+

1. What factors affect the vertical velocity of a balloon?

The vertical velocity of a balloon is affected by several factors, including the weight of the balloon, the amount of air inside the balloon, and the density of the surrounding air. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also impact the balloon's velocity.

2. How does the weight of a balloon affect its vertical velocity?

The weight of a balloon has a direct impact on its vertical velocity. A heavier balloon will have a slower vertical velocity compared to a lighter balloon, as it requires more force to lift the weight of the balloon and its contents against the force of gravity.

3. What happens to a balloon's vertical velocity as it rises higher into the atmosphere?

As a balloon rises higher into the atmosphere, it will experience a decrease in air density. This decrease in air density will result in a decrease in the force of air resistance acting on the balloon, causing its vertical velocity to increase.

4. Can the shape of a balloon affect its vertical velocity?

Yes, the shape of a balloon can have an impact on its vertical velocity. A more streamlined and aerodynamic shape will experience less air resistance, resulting in a higher vertical velocity compared to a balloon with a less aerodynamic shape.

5. How does air temperature affect the vertical velocity of a balloon?

Air temperature can have a significant impact on the vertical velocity of a balloon. Warmer air has a lower density, which will result in less air resistance and a higher vertical velocity for the balloon. On the other hand, colder air has a higher density, resulting in more air resistance and a slower vertical velocity for the balloon.