Finding Velocity as a Function of Time for a Particle with Retarding Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a retarding force acting on a particle with mass m and initial velocity v0 moving on a horizontal surface. The force is proportional to the square root of the instantaneous velocity of the particle. To find the velocity of the particle as a function of time, the equation needs to be solved through integration. After discussing different approaches, it is determined that the correct solution is v = sqrt[-2kt/m + c], with c potentially related to the initial velocity v0.
lapo3399

Homework Statement

A retarding force acts on a particle with mass m and initial velocity v0 moving on a horizontal surface; this force is proportional to the square root of the instantaneous velocity of the particle:

Fr = -k*sqrt(v)

Find an expression for the velocity of the rock as a function of time.2. The attempt at a solution
I believe that this has to be solved through the integration of the force expression, possibly setting the right side equal to ma or m(dv/dt):

m*dv/dt = -k*sqrt(v)
dv/dt = -(k/m)*sqrt(v)

I don't know how to go about integrating this though, especially considering the v is present on both sides. I tried and this is the answer I got, though I doubt that it is correct:

v = (-3kt/m)^2 + vo

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the 3 come from? Could you show your integration please?

Now that I think about it I think it should be done this way (though I'm not sure of this either because it ends with the square root of -kt/m... so unless k is negative it's not real):

dv/dt = -(k/m)*sqrt(v)
v = -(k/m)*int[sqrt(v)]dt
v = -(k/m)*[t*sqrt(v)*(1/v)]
v = -(k/m)*(t/v)
v^2 = -kt/m
v = sqrt(-kt/m) + v0

No, that's not correct. You have a v on the right hand side, so cannot simply integrate the left hand side to give v. This is a separable equation: [tex]\frac{dv}{\sqrt{v}}=-\frac{k}{m}dt[/tex]. Can you solve this?

So you would integrate both sides with respect to t? If that is the case, I know that the right side will be -kt/m, but I do not understand how to perform the left side's integral.

Oh. You integrate the left side with respect to v and the right with respect to t? So
int[v^-1/2]dv=-kt/m + c
1/2v^1/2= -kt/m + c
v=sqrt[-2kt/m+c]

Would c somehow have to do with v0 then? Would it be

v=sqrt[-2kt/m] + v0 ?

What is retarding force on a particle?

Retarding force on a particle is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the particle's motion, slowing it down or bringing it to a stop.

What factors affect the magnitude of retarding force on a particle?

The magnitude of retarding force on a particle is affected by the particle's mass, velocity, and the strength of the force acting against it.

What is an example of retarding force in everyday life?

An example of retarding force in everyday life is air resistance or drag, which acts against the motion of objects moving through the air.

How does retarding force impact the motion of a particle?

Retarding force causes a decrease in the velocity of a particle, eventually bringing it to a stop if the force is strong enough.

How can retarding force be reduced?

Retarding force can be reduced by reducing the force acting against the particle, such as by reducing air resistance or by increasing the mass of the particle.