1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Retarding Force on a Particle

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A retarding force acts on a particle with mass m and initial velocity v0 moving on a horizontal surface; this force is proportional to the square root of the instantaneous velocity of the particle:

Fr = -k*sqrt(v)

Find an expression for the velocity of the rock as a function of time.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I believe that this has to be solved through the integration of the force expression, possibly setting the right side equal to ma or m(dv/dt):

m*dv/dt = -k*sqrt(v)
    dv/dt = -(k/m)*sqrt(v)

I don't know how to go about integrating this though, especially considering the v is present on both sides. I tried and this is the answer I got, though I doubt that it is correct:

v = (-3kt/m)^2 + vo

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where does the 3 come from? Could you show your integration please?

4. Oct 12, 2007 #3
    Now that I think about it I think it should be done this way (though I'm not sure of this either because it ends with the square root of -kt/m... so unless k is negative it's not real):

dv/dt = -(k/m)*sqrt(v)
    v = -(k/m)*int[sqrt(v)]dt
    v = -(k/m)*[t*sqrt(v)*(1/v)]
    v = -(k/m)*(t/v)
    v^2 = -kt/m
    v = sqrt(-kt/m) + v0

5. Oct 12, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's not correct. You have a v on the right hand side, so cannot simply integrate the left hand side to give v. This is a separable equation: [tex]\frac{dv}{\sqrt{v}}=-\frac{k}{m}dt[/tex]. Can you solve this?

6. Oct 12, 2007 #5
    So you would integrate both sides with respect to t? If that is the case, I know that the right side will be -kt/m, but I do not understand how to perform the left side's integral.

7. Oct 12, 2007 #6
    Oh. You integrate the left side with respect to v and the right with respect to t? So
    int[v^-1/2]dv=-kt/m + c
    1/2v^1/2= -kt/m + c
    v=sqrt[-2kt/m+c]

Would c somehow have to do with v0 then? Would it be

v=sqrt[-2kt/m] + v0 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?