Retro-causality thought experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of retroactively impacting past events of particles through experiments in quantum mechanics. It is also mentioned that this idea may have consequences for the universe and its laws. However, the other party argues that this idea is not supported by any experiments and may be a misunderstanding of an actual experiment.
john taylor
It has been mostly substantiated by virtue of experiments such as wheelers delayed choice quantum eraser experiment that we are able to retroactively impact past events of particles. However could this apply to the universe. When physicists are carrying out experiments today, which are creating the conditions of the big bang, prior to the experiment it is uncertain what they will find, because it is uncertain how things behaved back then. That means by experiment that physicists are retroactively determining the laws of physics and even what happens today. This could have devastating consequences potentially since effecting the conditions of the big bang could dramatically effect the conditions today.

Please tell me what you think of my thought experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
john taylor said:
It has been mostly substantiated by virtue of experiments such as wheelers delayed choice quantum eraser experiment that we are able to retroactively impact past events of particles. However could this apply to the universe. When physicists are carrying out experiments today, which are creating the conditions of the big bang, prior to the experiment it is uncertain what they will find, because it is uncertain how things behaved back then. That means by experiment that physicists are retroactively determining the laws of physics and even what happens today. This could have devastating consequences potentially since effecting the conditions of the big bang could dramatically effect the conditions today.

I think it's nonsense. If I find out today that you got married 8 years ago, does that somehow mean that you are now divorced? You may or may not be divorced now, but my finding out when you got married has nothing to do with it.

To be more specific, the properties of the electron, for example, are what they are. Our DISCOVERING what they are has no effect on what they are now or on what they have always been.

Likes davenn
So do I but its a thought experiment to highlight the absurdities with some of the ideas being proposed in quantum mechanics.

john taylor said:
So do I but its a thought experiment to highlight the absurdities with some of the ideas being proposed in quantum mechanics.
What specific ideas do you have in mind? I suspect that you might be misunderstanding whatever idea it is that you think is absurd, unless of course you just mean that it defies "common sense" or "intuition" both of which are often counterproductive in QM.

john taylor said:
highlight the absurdities with some of the ideas being proposed in quantum mechanics.

phinds said:
What specific ideas do you have in mind?
Ohhh yes ... please enlighten us all :smile:

john taylor said:
t has been mostly substantiated by virtue of experiments such as wheelers delayed choice quantum eraser experiment that we are able to retroactively impact past events of particles.

No, it hasn't. That would violate causality, and no experiment has ever shown a violation of causality.

john taylor said:

It's not a thought experiment, it's a mistaken understanding of an actual experiment.

Thread closed.

Likes davenn

1. What is retro-causality?

Retro-causality is a thought experiment that suggests the possibility of events in the present being influenced by actions in the future. It challenges the traditional understanding of cause and effect, which states that the cause must precede the effect.

2. How does retro-causality differ from traditional causality?

In traditional causality, the cause must come before the effect. However, in retro-causality, the effect can occur before the cause. This means that future events can potentially influence present events.

3. Is retro-causality a proven concept?

No, retro-causality is still a philosophical and scientific thought experiment. There is currently no scientific evidence to support its validity. However, it has sparked much debate and speculation among scientists and philosophers.

4. What are the implications of retro-causality?

If retro-causality were to exist, it would challenge our understanding of cause and effect and could potentially change the way we view time and the concept of free will. It would also have significant implications for fields such as physics and psychology.

5. How do scientists test for retro-causality?

Currently, there is no way to test for retro-causality as it is still a theoretical concept. However, some scientists have proposed thought experiments and simulations to explore the possibility of retro-causality and its implications on different areas of science.