Returning to Physics after Computational Biology

In summary: R1 schools.In summary, if you are not at a R1 school, and you want to return to physics, you may be able to do so by finding a school that cares more about research than teaching.
FunkyDwarf
Ahoy,

I was hoping to illicit advice on returning to physics after a stint in computational biology. I have a PhD in theoretical physics with a good number of physics publications in good journals, but unfortunately lacking in significant citations. At the end of the PhD, for various reasons (some good, some kinda stupid; 20/20 hindsight) I packed my bags for a postdoc in comp bio, building models, doing numerical simulations, and statistics-y stuff. I enjoy it, but I have [too] slowly come to the realization that I want to return to my first science (desperately).

This current postdoc has been 2 years (since my phd), but the plot thickens because a few months ago (after several, but probably not enough, failed physics job applications) I signed for a new comp bio postdoc elsewhere, this one focusing more on multiscale modelling and big data, amongst other things.

I make no bones about the fact that despite recognizing to hole I put myself in, I appear to be trying to dig my way out. Regardless, any advice on such a situation (viable paths back into the fold, I hope) would be much appreciated. I have a keen interest (and briefly did some work on) galactic dynamics and cosmological analysis, and so I have a vain hope that by expanding my simulation/analysis/coding skillset I am maybe not running in entirely the wrong direction.

Thanks in advance.

Note: I have no intention on breaking my signed contract, I'm well aware of the implications of such (or at least, I wouldn't do it unless I had something truly amazing lined up to make it worth the negatives).

Physics news on Phys.org
FunkyDwarf said:
Ahoy,

I was hoping to illicit advice on returning to physics after a stint in computational biology.

Hopefully this advice is not illicit.

After a PhD and two post docs, you should be qualified for a few faculty positions. If you eschew faculty positions at R1 schools where you need to keep the grant money rolling in and focus on applying for physics faculty positions at institutions where you don't need a steady stream of grant money, you should be able to land a job and do your theoretical research on whatever pleases you.

Ah yes, good catch on the typo (not really a flying start when trying to advertise manuscript writing skills!)

Just to clarify - despite the fact that my postdocs have been in computational biology, you still think it's possible to get a physics faculty position? I understand your point about getting a position and then researching whatever I choose, though I guess I would definitely like to benefit from the training of a physics postdoc first (but beggars can't be choosers and all that)

Edit: also, thanks for reply!

FunkyDwarf said:
Ah yes, good catch on the typo (not really a flying start when trying to advertise manuscript writing skills!)

Just to clarify - despite the fact that my postdocs have been in computational biology, you still think it's possible to get a physics faculty position? I understand your point about getting a position and then researching whatever I choose, though I guess I would definitely like to benefit from the training of a physics postdoc first (but beggars can't be choosers and all that)

Edit: also, thanks for reply!

My wife and I have held several physics faculty positions without having done any post doctoral work in physics. Once you are looking at the schools which don't care about the research dollars faculty are brining in (not R1 schools), you are hired primarily to teach, and secondarily (if at all) to maintain an active research program. In many cases, the research expectations for promotion and tenure can be met by publishing without bringing in lots of money (or any). If you can involve students in your research, all the better.

Dr. Courtney said:
... Once you are looking at the schools which don't care about the research dollars faculty are brining in ...

Ha ha is that some kind of pickling process?

... (not R1 schools) ...

Sorry for showing my ignorance on these subjects, but what is an "R1" school?

Thanks

gmax137 said:
Sorry for showing my ignorance on these subjects, but what is an "R1" school?

Thanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_I_university

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universities_in_the_United_States

The links give a fuller explanation as related to the Carnegie classification of different schools, which was taken over last year by a different group.

The point is that some schools care more about a faculty member's research grant funding than they do about their teaching.

There are a lot of schools that care more about teaching. There is more freedom for research at these schools, because there is much less pressure to bring in grant dollars, and you can actually do the kind of research you prefer, especially if it is theory that can be done without large external grants. Grants at these schools are gravy, they are not the needed fuel for the machine.

Likes gmax137

Related to Returning to Physics after Computational Biology

1. How does computational biology relate to physics?

Computational biology uses mathematical and computational tools to study biological systems, which can involve physical principles such as thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. Therefore, a background in physics can be valuable for understanding and modeling biological processes.

2. What skills from my background in computational biology can I apply to physics?

Many skills from computational biology, such as data analysis, modeling, and programming, can be directly applied to physics research. Additionally, your experience with biological systems may provide a unique perspective on studying physical phenomena.

3. Are there any specific areas of physics that are particularly relevant to returning from computational biology?

There are many areas of physics that can be relevant, depending on your specific research interests and background. Some examples include biophysics, computational physics, and statistical mechanics. It's important to explore different areas to find a good fit for your skills and interests.

4. What are some resources for transitioning from computational biology to physics?

There are many resources available, such as online courses, textbooks, and workshops, that can help with the transition. Additionally, connecting with other scientists who have made a similar transition can provide valuable insights and advice.

5. Is it possible to continue research in both computational biology and physics?

Yes, it is possible to continue research in both fields! Many researchers have interdisciplinary interests and backgrounds, and there are opportunities to integrate both computational biology and physics in your research. It may also be beneficial to collaborate with other scientists from different fields to approach problems from multiple perspectives.