Returning to Study Physics: Overcome Fear & Relearn Maths

• Thread starter EnchantedEggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the individual is a first class honors physics BSc graduate from Warwick University in the UK who has been working in computer security for 9 months. They have realized that their true passion is physics and are considering pursuing a PhD, but are concerned about forgetting everything and not being smart enough to return to studying. They are wondering if there are any remedial physics and math courses available, and have looked into doctoral training centers which offer a fully funded four-year program. However, they are still unsure and feel stuck in their current job. Other individuals in the conversation offer advice and suggest immersing oneself in the topics again and finding gaps in knowledge. The individual is also concerned about job opportunities after completing a PhD in physics.
EnchantedEggs
Hi All,

I graduated nearly two years ago now with a first class honours physics BSc from Warwick uni (UK). Since then, I've been working in computer security for about 9 months (took me a little while to get the job haha). Anyway, I've realized now that physics is really where my heart belongs - shouldn't have left!

My old supervisor has suggested I do a PhD, and I've been thinking seriously about it for about 2 months now and I think I want to go for it.

My problem: I've forgotten everything! What do I do to get back into the field? Are there any remedial physics/maths courses I can do before entering onto a PhD? I've looked at doctoral training centres, which include a MSc as part of the first of a four year programme, which look good because it's all fully funded (I have very little money). But even these look daunting.

Is it even possible to relearn the maths I'd need? I work full time now, so the time I have to study is limited. Any advice? This situation has really got me down in the dumps, I feel like I'm stuck in a job I don't like, with no way out. What if I'm just not smart enough to go back to study?

Tl;dr I want to return to physics but am scared I've forgotten everything and that I'm not smart enough any more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's always worth a shot, IMO. It is fully funded, and in the US I am aware that there are remedial classes for PhD candidates who need to "refresh" the material. Not sure if the case is the same in the UK, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

You think so? I wonder if I should call around and ask if various PhD programmes offer remedial classes alongside regular study?

If you're serious about getting your PhD after a two year gap, I don't think it is necessary for you to retake or take remedial courses. I had about the same amount gap between my Masters and start on working towards my PhD. You do lose a lot, but I found that immersing yourself into the topics again revitalize a lot of that lost information. Before I made the jump, I spent about a year reworking old textbooks, and reading questions people posted on here! I would often read a homework problem and think "man two years ago I could've answered this!" So I would open up a textbook and try to solve the problem. By the time I did that, someone here usually would've answered the question and confirmed or denied if my method and or answer worked out. Doing this, allowed me to find gaps in my knowledge and shift my focus.

Disclaimer!
My field is Statistics, and I did work as a Statistician in those years, so I probably was a bit better off than you are right now. However, I feel working as a Statistician is quite different than being an academic one, at least for me. I only required remedial tools for most of my work, and much of it was spent on design.

Ugh see I'm still worried I'll do really badly when I go back. Do you think 9 hours of study a week would be enough to refresh my knowledge? Problem is, I have a 12 week internship coming up on 24th May in America, I don't know how much time I'll have for extracurricular study :( This is honestly stressing me out a fair bit.

Also, thanks for the replies guys, it's appreciated

You won't find much pity from me. I did this while working a full time job, married, and a little crumble muncher eating my time. Not excluding taking care of the 40 acres of land I own. In life you make your priorities. If you truly desire to return to study, then you need to take action and prepare yourself.

I don't know if 9 hours a week will be enough. I don't know how much work you need to do. Instead of setting a time goal, I would simply look at my schedule and find where I'm wasting time, eliminate those moments, and replace it with studying.

One thing to check- find out what happens to phds who graduate in your (planned) specialization. Jobs in physics are really scarce, and in a number of subfields, you'll probably find yourself back in computer security (or something similar) after doing your phd. If your end goal is a different career path, a physics phd might not be the best avenue to get there.

MarneMath said:
You won't find much pity from me. I did this while working a full time job, married, and a little crumble muncher eating my time. Not excluding taking care of the 40 acres of land I own. In life you make your priorities. If you truly desire to return to study, then you need to take action and prepare yourself.

I don't know if 9 hours a week will be enough. I don't know how much work you need to do. Instead of setting a time goal, I would simply look at my schedule and find where I'm wasting time, eliminate those moments, and replace it with studying.

So, did you make yourself an actual schedule or just study whenever you found yourself with free time? As in, did you do things like block out some hours for rest and block out some hours for study, or was it more ad-hoc than that?

ParticleGrl said:
One thing to check- find out what happens to phds who graduate in your (planned) specialization. Jobs in physics are really scarce, and in a number of subfields, you'll probably find yourself back in computer security (or something similar) after doing your phd. If your end goal is a different career path, a physics phd might not be the best avenue to get there.

The sad thing is, where I currently work, we do have departments that do things like RF detection work, laser optics, space atmospheric work... All sorts! I was just unlucky enough to land in the cyber department. Although, I probably shouldn't complain too much, my department are the ones paying for me to do the internship.

I've tried getting transferred to a more physics based department, but it's proving a little tricky - my group leader is 100% opposed to me moving (fair enough really, wants to keep his resources).

EnchantedEggs said:
So, did you make yourself an actual schedule or just study whenever you found yourself with free time? As in, did you do things like block out some hours for rest and block out some hours for study, or was it more ad-hoc than that?

By nature, I'm a regimented person, so I plan out my day task every morning. If you were able to look at my phone you'll see a list of daily task that need to be accomplished. What I did was organize my task list like "Gym, Work, feed animals, feed kid, Read chapter 2 of book x read chapter 10 of book y, watch football, etc" Depending on what I had going on for the day, I would move studying up or down on the list. That's just how I operate. Do what makes sense for you. The idea is that your commitment to studying should be as serious as your intention to go to grad school.

1. How can I overcome my fear of studying physics?

Overcoming fear is a personal journey, but there are several strategies that can help. One is to break down the subject into smaller, manageable chunks and approach it one step at a time. Another is to seek support from a mentor or tutor who can guide you through the material and help build your confidence. It's also important to have a growth mindset and acknowledge that mistakes and challenges are a natural part of learning.

2. What is the most effective way to relearn math for physics?

The most effective way to relearn math for physics is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. Review fundamental concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus, and practice solving problems in these areas. It can also be helpful to connect the math concepts to real-world examples in physics to better understand their applications.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying physics each day?

The amount of time needed to study physics will vary depending on your individual learning style and the complexity of the material. However, it is generally recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours per day on studying and practicing physics. Consistency is key, so try to establish a study schedule and stick to it.

4. What resources are available to help me with relearning math for physics?

There are many resources available to help with relearning math for physics. Online platforms such as Khan Academy and Coursera offer free courses and tutorials on various math topics. You can also find textbooks, practice problems, and video lectures on physics and math websites. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can provide valuable support and guidance.

5. What are some tips for balancing studying physics with other commitments?

Balancing studying physics with other commitments can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it, and try to break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks. It can also be beneficial to take breaks and engage in stress-relieving activities to avoid burnout. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek support from friends, family, or classmates when needed.