REU for students with refugee status

In summary, the author is an asylee who is attending a local community college. They are concerned about whether they are eligible for the National Science Foundation's summer research program. The author has already conducted research at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and has no problem with their status. If the author is not eligible for the program, they will look for other opportunities.
eminent_youtom
I am staying in the United State as a political asylee since 2006. Asylee status is similar as a refugee.

I am at a local community college and have applied for summer research program (REU) funded by National Science Foundation. The NSF website says that to be eligible for summer research, applicant need to be a permanent resident and need a green-card as a proof.

Although I don't have a green card with me right now, I am considered as a california resident and also receiving financial aid which is given by the federal government. I believe that my college treats me as a permanent resident because of which I am eligible for in-state tuition fee.

So, my concern is whether I am eligible for the program or not! I do have an Alien number which is same as my green card number.I have already conducted a research at Lawrence Berkeley National laboratory on summer of 08, which was funded by Jack kent cooke and I didnt have any problem with my status.

Do they have any summer research opportunity for those people who are legal alien, such as refugee, asylee, but their greencard is pending?

Thank you for your time.
I would be grateful for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If they say you need a green card, they usually mean exactly that, I'm afraid.

I would still apply (your green card status is, I assume, in consideration, via your statement of "pending"). You may just want to include a note about this (including that fact that it is pending) in your application, and see if the institution can figure it out (provided they are interested in your application.

With luck, it could be that your green card is approved before the REU starts.

Also, continue to look for other opportunities, possibly at Lawrence-Berkeley as before.

Related to REU for students with refugee status

1. What is an REU for students with refugee status?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a funded research opportunity for undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing graduate studies. The program is specifically designed for students who have refugee status, providing them with hands-on research experience in their field of interest.

2. Who is eligible to participate in an REU for students with refugee status?

Students who have been granted refugee status by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) or the U.S. Department of State are eligible to participate in an REU program. They must also be enrolled as undergraduate students at a college or university in the United States.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU for students with refugee status?

Participating in an REU program can provide students with valuable research experience, mentorship from faculty members, and the opportunity to network with other students and professionals in their field. It can also enhance their graduate school applications and provide them with a competitive edge in their future career pursuits.

4. How can I apply for an REU for students with refugee status?

Students can apply for an REU program by visiting the National Science Foundation's website and searching for programs that specifically cater to students with refugee status. They can also reach out to their university's office of international programs for more information and guidance on the application process.

5. Are there any costs associated with participating in an REU for students with refugee status?

No, there are no costs associated with participating in an REU program for students with refugee status. These programs are fully funded by the National Science Foundation and other organizations, covering expenses such as travel, housing, and stipends for participants.