Non-Traditional Students and Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the speaker had a rocky academic past, taking random classes at a community college with no real major in mind. They left school for six years and did not do well in their classes. However, they have now decided to change things and have finished community college and are transferring to UC Berkeley as an electrical engineering major. They will graduate at the age of 31 with a M.S. in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science. The speaker is concerned about being a non-traditional student and their past academic record. They plan to excel at UC Berkeley, but worry about their age and past affecting their job prospects. They have heard mixed things about age discrimination and the job market, but are committed to their education and hopeful for a successful
brianfoster
A few years after I finished high school, I took a few subjects at my local community college with no real major in mind, didn't do very well and then left school for almost six years. I'm not going to make excuses for myself, I just wasn't a good student. Period. I didn't have a goal in mind. I take full responsibility for this. I let myself down.

Fast forward many years to today and I have decided to change things. I finished community college this year and am transfering in Spring 2013 to UC Berkeley as an electrical engineering major. I will graduate at the age of 31 with a M.S. in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, taking advantage of their 5 year combined B.S./M.S. EECS program.

I am concerned about being a non-traditional student. I would love to work at a place like SpaceX or JPL, however my past is a checkered one. I fully intend on my UC trancript looking stellar, however my CC transcript from the first "two years" is ridiculous. It looks something like this: Took some random classes in 2007- got a bunch of C's and a few D's, the D's which I removed with the "academic renewal process" which takes the bad grades out of your GPA but schools can still see them. Dissapeared from community college until 2011 then came back, got a few W's (withdrawls) then finally buckled down and transferred to Cal with a 3.75 as an EE major in 2013. I would have had a 3.95 had it not been for the C's I earned in those random classes all those years ago, which I could not remove from the record.

I like to think my UC transcript will be the most important, and I fully intend on getting as many A's as I can during my time at Cal (I know this will not be easy) and shooting for a 3.8+ while at Berkeley. I am just worried about my bizarre academic history, and also my age. Normal "new graduate" applicants to places like SpaceX/JPL are around 22 years old. Even with a Masters under my belt, I feel like it's not going to matter much when I'm going to be so much older than the other applicants. Will they laugh me out of the room?

I have heard that "age discrimination is illegal" but surely it happens..I have also heard that it's only years *since* you got your degree that matter that way the things you learned are not rusty/outdated. That sounds reasonable but I'm worried it's not the whole truth. I'm petrified someone is going to be reviewing my application and be like "WTF this guy just graduated with a B.S./M.S. and he's 31?! What a slacker.

Will my age and shoddy community college record matter? Or is a 3.8+ M.S. from Cal good enough regardless of age/other factors? Is the final outcome enough to outshine all the bad stuff?Am I doomed before even beginning? I know there's kids who know they want to be an engineer from age 7 onwards and ace all their classes and follow the normal path, and I just wasn't that person. I'm never going to be that person. But I'm trying. Hard. I really want this. I'm hoping a second chance at the life I am dreaming about is more than just that, a dream.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Brian, are you already accepted to Cal?

I can't give you any words of assurance, but I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm 25 and I too had a sketchy academic past in high school, then CC right after graduation. Not that I wasn't smart enough. I, like you, was just a horrendous student. Now I'm motivated and have a 3.89 gpa. I just submitted my application for mechanical engineering at Cal (plus others, but Berkeley is my #1)

I also share the anxiety that I won't be successful after I complete my education. It seems like everyone has the same idea we do, and the market will be oversaturated with job applicants in the next decade. I sure hope not, but that's a consideration I weigh heavily.

Then I remember how far I've come and that no matter what happens I should be proud of my accomplishments as a student. You should be too. At this point I'm committed so it's not like market conditions will sway my decision anyway. Only the committed make it.

Anyway, I don't expect to hear about their decision for a few months. I'm just curious how you know you're transferring already?Edit: Oh I see. SPRING 2013. Sorry about that. But on that note how did you transfer for the Spring semester? I thought they were closed to all Spring applicants.

Last edited:
At 31, you don't have to worry about age discrimination. If you're in your late 50's, that's a different story...

Everything you heard about the job market is true, except the positive stuff. Remember, its about how taylored your resume is, who you know, how well you can lie. As a student who had a stellar resume with practical extracurricular experience and still haven't found a job. I can tell you it's a joke.

brianfoster said:
Fast forward many years to today and I have decided to change things. I finished community college this year and am transfering in Spring 2013 to UC Berkeley as an electrical engineering major. I will graduate at the age of 31 with a M.S. in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, taking advantage of their 5 year combined B.S./M.S. EECS program.

I am concerned about being a non-traditional student. I would love to work at a place like SpaceX or JPL, however my past is a checkered one. I fully intend on my UC trancript looking stellar, however my CC transcript from the first "two years" is ridiculous. It looks something like this: Took some random classes in 2007- got a bunch of C's and a few D's, the D's which I removed with the "academic renewal process" which takes the bad grades out of your GPA but schools can still see them. Dissapeared from community college until 2011 then came back, got a few W's (withdrawls) then finally buckled down and transferred to Cal with a 3.75 as an EE major in 2013. I would have had a 3.95 had it not been for the C's I earned in those random classes all those years ago, which I could not remove from the record.

The UC system is actually intended to work this way. Your pattern is really not that uncommon. Sure, it deviates from the standard script, high school, college, grad school, job, but not everyone has to follow that script. It is very common for students to transfer from CC to the UC system. I'm more familiar with UCLA, it takes about 3000-4000 transfers per year, mostly from California CCs. It is probably easier to get in this way than the traditional way. If you can swing a 3.8 GPA from Berkeley, I don't think anyone will bat an eye at your age or your CC transcript.

Ben Espen said:
If you can swing a 3.8 GPA from Berkeley, I don't think anyone will bat an eye at your age or your CC transcript.

I agree with this. But that doesn't mean you'll have an easy time getting a job, just to be clear.

What is considered a "non-traditional" student in the field of aerospace engineering?

A non-traditional student in the field of aerospace engineering is typically someone who is returning to school after a significant gap in their education, such as working professionals, parents, or individuals who have previously pursued a different career path.

Are there specific challenges that non-traditional students face in pursuing a degree in aerospace engineering?

Yes, non-traditional students may face challenges such as balancing work and family commitments with coursework, adjusting to the academic environment after a long break from education, and feeling out of place among younger classmates.

What resources are available for non-traditional students in aerospace engineering programs?

Many universities offer resources specifically for non-traditional students, such as academic advising, career counseling, and financial aid assistance. Additionally, there may be organizations or support groups specifically for non-traditional students in the field of aerospace engineering.

Can non-traditional students in aerospace engineering programs still participate in internships and other hands-on experiences?

Yes, many aerospace engineering programs offer opportunities for internships, research projects, and other hands-on experiences for non-traditional students. These experiences can provide valuable practical skills and networking opportunities.

Are there scholarships or financial aid options specifically for non-traditional students pursuing a degree in aerospace engineering?

Yes, there are some scholarships and financial aid options available specifically for non-traditional students. It is important for students to research and apply for these opportunities early in their academic journey.