Revising coursework during my PhD

In summary: It's a lot harder to do well in your PhD if you're constantly screwing up your coursework than it is to make a few minor revisions.
Snyper
Hello

I am an Integrated PhD Physics student ( Masters+PhD Program ). We have two years of course work then research. I could not study very well in my classical Mechanics course ( goldstein Level ) for some reason. Also, in my EM class the Professor used Griffiths as textbook which I had already done. ( Was expecting a graduate level textbook like Jackson ). Right now I am in 3rd Semester and can't study these books ( Goldstein and Jackson ) because I am taking other courses. Is it a good idea to study these two books in the first year of my PhD ( apart from research ).?. More generally, does one get time in PhD to revise coursework that one has not done well or has some gaps in ? Because coursework is often very fast, so it is almost always necessary for me go back and revisit some topics. Is it possible /feasible to do this during PhD?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it depends on your program. In many programs students take a fair chunk of time to go over their course material in preparation for their comprehensive exam.

That said, PhDs tends to have a lot of 'unconstrained' time. Meaning that you're really your own master. If you want to make it a priority to go over course work, you can do that, but it tends to come at the cost of research and/or personal time. Generally I don't think anyone will fault you for reviewing fundamentals, but at the same time your supervisor is going to expect research to advance at a certain pace.

Likes member 428835, Snyper and romsofia
My first year of grad school, all the courses I took were repeats of undergrad courses - mechanics, quantum, E&M, and stat mech. Both my academic adviser and my research adviser were fine with this approach to solidify my fundamentals in preparation for the first general exam. (There were three general exams in my PhD program.) Of course, I also spent a lot of time on my own working problems in preparation for the general exams.

My second year of grad school was packed with the standard grad level core courses in preparation for the second general exam. I put off the breadth requirements until after I had passed all three general exams.

My learning style does better with a combination of the structured presentation and accountability of formal coursework (homework sets and exams) as well as some time spent just working problems on my own. Without structure and accountability, I often found it hard to accurately assess how well I was really doing - often I was overly optimistic, sometimes overly pessimistic.

Likes member 428835 and Snyper
Agree with everyone above. But the best advice always comes from your adviser. Ask them what to do with courses. Advice sounds lazy, but as a 5th year PhD, trust me on this.

What is the purpose of revising coursework during my PhD?

The purpose of revising coursework during a PhD program is to ensure that your research and writing skills are continuously improving. It also allows you to refine your ideas and arguments, making your work more compelling and impactful.

How often should I revise my coursework?

The frequency of revising coursework during a PhD can vary, but it is generally recommended to revisit and revise your work every few months. This will allow you to see your progress and make necessary adjustments to your research and writing.

What are some tips for effectively revising coursework?

Some tips for effective coursework revision include taking breaks between revisions, seeking feedback from peers and advisors, and creating a revision plan or outline. It is also important to approach your revisions with a critical eye and be open to making changes.

Should I revise my coursework on my own or seek help?

It is always beneficial to seek help when revising coursework during a PhD. This can be from your advisor, peers, or a writing center. Getting feedback from others can provide valuable insights and help improve your work.

What are the benefits of revising coursework during a PhD?

Revising coursework during a PhD can have numerous benefits, including improving your writing and research skills, strengthening your arguments, and ultimately producing higher quality work. It also allows you to stay on track with your research goals and make necessary adjustments along the way.