Rewriting a symbolic Summation

• Thread starter user3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary: You can use the geometric series formula to find closed forms for them.In summary, the conversation discusses how to transform a summation expression into an algebraic form and suggests using a standard method involving geometric series to do so.
user3
Physics news on Phys.org
user3 said:
Consider this Summation: ∑cos^2 (∏*n / 4) limits: -N to N

when I type that on wolframAlpha I get the following:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=summation+(1++cos(pi+n+/+2))+from+-N+to+N

I have no Idea how it was performed though.

how Can I transform this from summation form to this other algebraic form?

Pick a value for N, and expand the summation.
Pick a different value for N, and expand the summation.
After you do this a few times, maybe you can discover a pattern.

user3 said:
Consider this Summation: ∑cos^2 (∏*n / 4) limits: -N to N

when I type that on wolframAlpha I get the following:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=summation+(1++cos(pi+n+/+2))+from+-N+to+N

I have no Idea how it was performed though.

how Can I transform this from summation form to this other algebraic form?

Standard method:
[tex] \sum_{n=a}^{b} \cos(nw) = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=a}^{b} \left(e^{inw} + e^{-inw} \right)[/tex]
This is a sum of two geometric series ##\sum r^n## with ##r = e^{iw}## and ##r = e^{-iw}##.

FAQ: Rewriting a symbolic Summation

1. What is a symbolic summation?

A symbolic summation is an expression that represents the sum of a series of terms, typically denoted by the Greek letter sigma (∑). It is a mathematical notation used to simplify complex sums and make them easier to work with.

2. How do you rewrite a symbolic summation?

To rewrite a symbolic summation, you must first identify the pattern or rule that the terms follow. Then, replace the index variable in the summation with the starting value of the series, and write out the series until you reach the last term. Finally, use the appropriate summation formula to evaluate the series.

3. What is the purpose of rewriting a symbolic summation?

The purpose of rewriting a symbolic summation is to make it easier to manipulate and solve. By identifying the pattern and using a summation formula, you can evaluate the series without having to write out each individual term. This can save time and reduce the risk of errors.

4. Can you provide an example of rewriting a symbolic summation?

Sure! An example of rewriting a symbolic summation is ∑k=1 (2k+1). This can be rewritten as (2*1+1) + (2*2+1) + (2*3+1) + ... + (2n+1), where n is the number of terms in the series. This can then be evaluated using the summation formula for arithmetic series, which is n(n+1)/2, to get the simplified expression of n2 + n.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when rewriting a symbolic summation?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when rewriting a symbolic summation include incorrectly identifying the pattern or rule of the series, using the wrong summation formula, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are correct before finalizing the rewritten summation.