Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RF absorbing sheet materials? (5GHz)

1. Jun 20, 2016 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Has anybody used thin RF absorbing sheets or tiles to attenuate RF radiation off of PCB assemblies? I've seen it used many years ago, and I have a 5GHz application that I'd like to try an absorbing sheet on. The PCBA is a few cm on a side, and the sheet or sheets would be applied directly on the side(s)....

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #2

berkeman

This is one of the sheets that I've requested samples of to try out...

http://www.wavexorb.com/products/product_details.php?PN=SN075-081&lang=en [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Jun 20, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also the sheets / pieces of black foam that is used for anti-static protection of IC's is brilliant for that use

I have even used wedge shaped sections in the end of waveguides on 5 and 10 GHz as a dummy load

Dave

5. Jun 20, 2016 #4

berkeman

Huh! I didn't think of that. I have anechoic chamber time scheduled for the end of this week, and will try anti-static foam as an option. That would be WAY cheaper than the commercial sheets. Thanks brother! :smile:

6. Jun 20, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no probs ... when I looked at that link you gave I wasn't really sure if it was for the same / similar sort of stuff or not ?

7. Jun 20, 2016 #6

berkeman

It looks like they can tune their sheets for particular frequencies. I'm not sure how they do it, but that's a nice feature. I want low loss in the 2.4GHz-2.5GHz band for 802.15.4 comm, but good loss around the 5GHz second harmonic band where we are having regulatory issues (for out-of-band harmonic energy).

8. Jun 22, 2016 #7
    I second the black foam, it's what our systems use, no idea what it is exactly, but I'll see what I can find out, I know they operate in the 850MHz to 1GHz range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted