RFID attendance marking, what infrastructure?

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rfid
In summary, the conversation discusses the planning and requirements for implementing an RFID attendance marking system. The main points mentioned include the necessary infrastructure, such as resources and materials, for the system to function. Additionally, there is a mention of connecting the system to the university's intranet and the need for a server to interpret and store the data. The conversation also raises questions about the server power and the frequency of the RF signal sent by the reader. The recommended resource is a website that provides information on wiring and other aspects of implementing an RFID system.
brandy
RFID attendance marking, what infrastructure??

im trying to plan for an RFID system.
1)what resources and material and general infrastructure do i need?
2) i think i want it to connect it up to my Uni's intranet maybe wireless, so i'd only need to wire the power source? this good?
3) intranet sends the data to some kind of a server to interpret it and then obviously i need some kind of storage. any type/method of storage you'd recommend?
4) What kind of server power would i need to process an RFID automated attendance marking system for one entire building?
5) Do you know if the RF signal is sent constantly until its outside the field of the RF reader or is it sent only once?

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is RFID attendance marking and how does it work?

RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) attendance marking is a system that uses small electronic devices called RFID tags to automatically track and record attendance. These tags contain a unique identification number that is transmitted through radio waves to a reader, which is connected to a computer. The computer then records the attendance data in a database, allowing for easy tracking and monitoring of attendance.

2. What infrastructure is needed for RFID attendance marking?

The infrastructure needed for RFID attendance marking includes RFID tags, RFID readers, and a computer with attendance tracking software. The tags can either be attached to ID cards or placed in wristbands for students or employees to carry. The readers are typically installed at entry points where attendance needs to be recorded. The computer and software are used to manage and store the attendance data.

3. Is RFID attendance marking secure?

RFID attendance marking is considered to be a secure system. The unique identification numbers on the RFID tags cannot be easily duplicated, making it difficult for individuals to cheat the system. Additionally, the data transmitted between the tags and the readers is encrypted, ensuring that the attendance data is secure and cannot be intercepted by unauthorized parties.

4. Can RFID attendance marking be integrated with other systems?

Yes, RFID attendance marking can be integrated with other systems such as student information systems or human resource management systems. This allows for seamless integration and sharing of data between systems, making attendance tracking and management more efficient.

5. What are the benefits of using RFID attendance marking?

There are several benefits of using RFID attendance marking, including:

• Automated tracking and recording of attendance, reducing the need for manual record-keeping.
  • Increased accuracy in attendance data, as there is no room for human error or manipulation.
  • Real-time tracking of attendance, allowing for timely interventions if needed.
  • Efficient management of attendance data, with the ability to generate reports and analyze attendance trends.
  • Improved security and accountability, as it is difficult for individuals to cheat or falsify attendance data.