Is a Master's in Carbon Management Enough to Pursue a PhD in Geophysics?

In summary, Richard is unsure whether his masters is adequate preparation for a PhD in geophysics, but is unsure of where to start looking for advice.
RC92
Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing an MSc in Carbon Management at the University of Edinburgh, and have decided that I enjoy the geophysics aspects (renewable energies, etc.) more than the economics/policy aspects in which I have undergraduate experience.

Given this, I'd like to pursue a PhD in geophysics, but am unsure whether my masters is likely to be considered adequate preparation. I have tried contacting potential departments, but can't seem to get a straight answer.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

Richard :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is one of those cases where it depends on the department, but I suspect in the majority of cases they'll be looking for you to have the equivalent of a physics major. Geophysics is typically a branch of the physics department. The students have to take some core physics courses and write the comprehensive examination just like all the other physics students, so if you're applying to one of those programs they'll be incorporating the probability of you passing those as part of your admission assessment.

Likes DeBangis21
Sometimes it's tough to discern the meaning when folks are unresponsive to inquiries. After enough lack of response, I tend to form a working hypothesis that they are not interested and move to other pastures.

I think it depends on where you're doing your PhD as well. As Choppy said, some institutions will lump geophysics into the physics department, particularly in Europe. In the U.S. however, geophysics is almost always in a geology/earth science department which are typically much more lenient in terms of preparation. I'm currently doing a PhD in geophysics and people's backgrounds vary greatly. Most have Earth science backgrounds, but others such as myself came from physics, computer science, chemistry, engineering, or even economics. I think the basic requirement in the U.S. is several semesters of chemistry, physics, and maths. If you have coding experience, that will also be a huge asset.

Depending on the classes you're taking in your MSc, I think your background should be sufficient for most programs. Good luck!

Likes DeBangis21

1. What inspired you to pursue a PhD in Geophysics?

I have always been fascinated by the Earth and its natural processes. As a child, I would spend hours reading about volcanoes, earthquakes, and other geological phenomena. This curiosity and passion for the subject ultimately led me to pursue a career in geophysics.

2. What is the focus of your research for your PhD?

My research focuses on using geophysical methods to better understand and map subsurface structures and processes. Specifically, I am looking at the use of seismic reflection and gravity methods to study the subsurface of a particular region and its potential for hydrocarbon exploration.

3. What challenges have you faced during your PhD journey?

One of the biggest challenges I have faced is the constant need to stay updated with the latest research and techniques in the field. Geophysics is a rapidly advancing field, and it can be challenging to keep up with all the new developments while also conducting my own research. Time management and staying organized have been crucial in overcoming this challenge.

4. How has pursuing a PhD in Geophysics impacted your career goals?

Pursuing a PhD in Geophysics has allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and develop valuable research and analytical skills. It has also opened up opportunities for me to work in various industries, including oil and gas, environmental consulting, and academia. Ultimately, my goal is to use my knowledge and skills to contribute to the advancement of geophysics and make a positive impact on society.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring geophysicists?

My advice would be to stay curious and never stop learning. Geophysics is a vast and ever-evolving field, so it's important to stay updated and open to new ideas and techniques. Also, don't be afraid to seek guidance and collaborate with others in the field. Lastly, always remember the bigger picture and how your research can contribute to a better understanding of our planet and its resources.