RichRoberts44/9_00596_24_zpsjjn45ocm.jpg[/URL]Help with Sliding Plate Mechanism

• Thread starter Richard Roberts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the speaker is seeking ideas for a sliding plate mechanism that needs to travel in a specific direction. They have attached a picture and mentioned using a bell crank mechanism, but are open to other suggestions. They also mention the need for loss motion and the importance of keeping the motor arm parallel to avoid jamming. The speaker is open to changing the connecting rods and boss position if necessary. Another suggestion is using a piston or a cross plate driven by the motor.
Richard Roberts
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on something I'm struggling with at the moment. In the attached picture I have a sliding plate that needs to travel as shown. I have a motor mounted in the position on the picture and due to limited space its the only position available. I had intended to use a bell crank mechanism but was wondering if there was anything better? I also would like to include some loss motion somewhere in the mechanism. Any ideas?

The motor will need the arm to remain relatively parallel to avoid jamming. The connecting rods can all change in length if necessary and the boss position could change but id rather it didn't.

Thankshttp://[URL=http://s226.photobucket.com/user/RichRoberts44/media/9_00596_24_zpsjjn45ocm.jpg.html][ATTACH=full]199843[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]199844[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• URL].jpg
    URL].jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 9_00596_24_zpsjjn45ocm.jpg
    9_00596_24_zpsjjn45ocm.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How about how a piston works?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 358
Possibly a cross plate that is driven across the slide plate by the motor.
CrossSlide.png

Related to RichRoberts44/9_00596_24_zpsjjn45ocm.jpg[/URL]Help with Sliding Plate Mechanism

1. What is a sliding plate mechanism?

A sliding plate mechanism is a mechanical system that allows a plate or platform to move back and forth in a linear motion. It typically consists of a stationary base, a sliding plate or platform, and a mechanism such as gears or pulleys to control the movement.

2. What is the purpose of a sliding plate mechanism?

Sliding plate mechanisms are commonly used in various types of machinery and equipment to facilitate linear movement. They are often used in manufacturing processes, transportation systems, and even household appliances.

3. How does a sliding plate mechanism work?

A sliding plate mechanism works by converting rotary motion from a motor or other power source into linear motion. This is typically achieved through the use of gears, pulleys, or other mechanical components that transfer the rotational force into horizontal movement of the sliding plate.

4. What are the advantages of using a sliding plate mechanism?

Sliding plate mechanisms offer several advantages, including smooth and precise linear movement, compact design, and the ability to handle heavy loads. They also have a wide range of applications and can be easily integrated into different types of machinery and equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to using a sliding plate mechanism?

One limitation of using a sliding plate mechanism is that it requires regular maintenance to ensure smooth operation. Additionally, the mechanism may be prone to wear and tear over time, especially if it is used frequently and for heavy-duty tasks. Proper lubrication and regular inspection can help mitigate these limitations.