Learn Riemannian Geometry: Resources for Self-Learners

In summary, Some recommended background texts for learning about Riemannian Geometry are "Riemannian Geometry" by Manfredo P. Do Carmo, "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by John Lee, and "Calculus on Manifolds" by Michael Spivak. These texts can provide the necessary prerequisites and mathematical rigour for self-learners, with worked examples and problem sets. Another practical resource is "Numerical Differential Geometry: Algorithms and Source Code" by Martin Peternell, which includes numerical algorithms and source codes for studying differential geometry of surfaces.
pamparana
Can someone recommend some background texts which can build me up with the necessary pre-requisites to learn about Riemannian Geometry? I have been self studying single and multi variable calculus but lack the mathematical rigour. Some resources/textbooks that can cover the background material with worked examples and be suitable for self-learner would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would encourage you to try https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byl...Do+Carmo&sort=relevancerank&tag=pfamazon01-20 Riemannian Geometry. However, it's a bit like the Feynman Lectures: everything seems so sensible and logical the way he lays it out, but you may find that you are not prepared for the problem sets. In that case, you could try the "prequel", Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces.

John Lee's books are popular with the PF crowd, but I'm not familiar with them:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441999817/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387983228/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
If you lack the rigour to study Riemannian geometry comfortably, try working through Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds". It is the single book I would recommend for studying multivariate calculus, and it paves the way to differential and Riemannian geometry.

From the practical point of view, you might be interested in the following book (it contains some unique numerical algorithms related to the differential geometry of surfaces, together with complete source codes in C/C++ and practical examples):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0646594044/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I highly recommend starting with a solid foundation in linear algebra and differential geometry before diving into Riemannian geometry. This will provide you with the necessary mathematical rigour and understanding of key concepts such as tensors, manifolds, and curvature.

For background texts, I suggest "Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang and "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo do Carmo. These texts provide clear explanations and worked examples, making them suitable for self-learners.

Additionally, I recommend supplementing your learning with online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare, which offer free lectures and practice problems on linear algebra and differential geometry.

Once you have a strong foundation in these areas, you can then move on to more advanced texts on Riemannian geometry, such as "Riemannian Geometry" by Manfredo do Carmo and "Riemannian Geometry: A Beginner's Guide" by Frank Morgan.

Remember to take your time and practice regularly to fully grasp the concepts of Riemannian geometry. Best of luck on your self-learning journey!

1. What is Riemannian Geometry?

Riemannian Geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies curved spaces using the mathematical concepts of tensors, manifolds, and differential geometry. It was developed by mathematician Bernhard Riemann and is essential in understanding the geometry of the universe.

2. Why is Riemannian Geometry important?

Riemannian Geometry has many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the structure of the universe and the behavior of matter and energy in curved spaces.

3. Can I learn Riemannian Geometry on my own?

Yes, you can learn Riemannian Geometry on your own if you have a strong foundation in differential and integral calculus, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus. There are many resources available for self-learners, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures.

4. What are some recommended resources for self-learning Riemannian Geometry?

Some popular resources for self-learning Riemannian Geometry include "Riemannian Geometry" by Manfredo Do Carmo, "Riemannian Geometry: A Beginner's Guide" by Frank Morgan, and "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo Do Carmo. Online resources such as "Riemannian Geometry" by John Lee and "Riemannian Geometry" by Thomas Banchoff are also highly recommended.

5. Is Riemannian Geometry difficult to learn?

Riemannian Geometry can be challenging to learn, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to grasp the fundamental concepts and applications of Riemannian Geometry. It is recommended to start with basic concepts and build a strong foundation before moving on to more complex topics.