Riemannian Penrose Inequality: Proof Restriction to n=3?

In summary: No, but I was only addressing the existence of 3-D black holes, not the inequality's asymptotic behavior.
Sasha_Tw
I am reading the proof of the Riemannian Penrose Inequality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemannian_Penrose_inequality) by Huisken and Ilmamen in "The Inverse Mean Curvature Flow and the Riemannian Penrose Inequality" and I was wondering why they restrict their proof to the dimension ##n=3##.

I thought it might be because of the definition of the Geroch-Hawking mass, or the monotonicity of such a mass, and I was told that it works only in dimension ##n=3## because the Geroch-Hawking mass monotonicity formula relies on the Gauss-Bonnet Theorem. But the latter can be generalized to higher dimensions (for an even dimension), right (wikipedia: Generalized Gauss-Bonnet Theorem)?

Then which argument restricts their proof to ##n=3##?

Likes bcrowell
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems unlikely to make sense for n=2, since the motivation had to do with black holes, which don't exist in 2+1 dimensions.

It may be that it holds for n>3, but with a trivial change in the geometrical factor of ##16\pi##. Have you tried working out the case of the 4+1-dimensional Schwarzschild spacetime?

bcrowell said:
It seems unlikely to make sense for n=2, since the motivation had to do with black holes, which don't exist in 2+1 dimensions.

It may be that it holds for n>3, but with a trivial change in the geometrical factor of ##16\pi##. Have you tried working out the case of the 4+1-dimensional Schwarzschild spacetime?
Thank you for your answer! The proof was generalized to higher dimensions, up to ##n=8## by Bray. But my question is about the Huisken and Ilmanen proof. I know there proof was restricted to dimension ##n=3## due to an argument linked to the Geroch monotonicity. I think it is linked to the fact that the Euler characteristic has to be less or equal than 2. Is that something that is valid only in dimension 3 ? Perhaps coming from the Hawking topology Theorem ? I am still looking into this !

bcrowell said:

There's a black hole solution in 3 dimensions (it does require a negative cosmological constant) http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9204099

jkl71 said:
There's a black hole solution in 3 dimensions (it does require a negative cosmological constant) http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9204099

But that wouldn't be asymptotically flat, would it?

bcrowell said:
But that wouldn't be asymptotically flat, would it?

No, but I was only addressing the existence of 3-D black holes, not the inequality

1. What is the Riemannian Penrose inequality?

The Riemannian Penrose inequality is a mathematical theorem that relates the geometry of a space-time to the amount of matter contained within it. It was first proposed by physicist Roger Penrose in the 1970s and has since been proven by mathematicians using advanced techniques from differential geometry.

2. What does the restriction to n=3 in the proof mean?

The restriction to n=3 in the proof of the Riemannian Penrose inequality means that the theorem has been proven for three-dimensional spaces. This is significant because it is the first step towards proving the theorem in higher dimensions, which is still an open problem in mathematics.

3. How does the Riemannian Penrose inequality relate to the theory of relativity?

The Riemannian Penrose inequality is closely related to Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the theory of general relativity. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding how the curvature of space-time is affected by the presence of matter, which is a central concept in general relativity.

4. What are some applications of the Riemannian Penrose inequality?

The Riemannian Penrose inequality has applications in both mathematics and physics. In mathematics, it has led to new insights and techniques in the field of differential geometry. In physics, it has implications for the study of black holes and the behavior of matter in extreme environments.

5. Is the Riemannian Penrose inequality a proven theorem?

Yes, the Riemannian Penrose inequality is a proven theorem in mathematics. It has been rigorously proven by mathematicians using various techniques, including the use of spinors and harmonic maps. However, there are still ongoing efforts to extend the theorem to higher dimensions and explore its implications further.