How Can I Calculate the Height of a Building Using Right Angle Trigonometry?

In summary, the problem asks for the height of a building from a position 150 ft above the ground. The angle between the observer and the ground is 56°, but when the observer uses the tangent function to calculate the distance to the smaller building, they get the wrong answer. The only solution that the student has found is to use the law of sines. If they knew the distance between the observer and the smaller building, they could construct a right triangle using the observing, the smaller building, and the acute angles 78 and 12. However, they would not be able to proceed from there because they do not know how to find x from the triangle. The student would need a drawing to help with this problem.
ciubba
Problem was initially posted in a technical math section, so is missing the homework template.
From a position 150 ft above the ground, an observer in a building measures angles of depression of 12° and 34° to the top and bottom, respectively, of a smaller building, as in the picture on the right. Use this to find the height h of the smaller building.

I have found that the angle between the observer and the ground is 56°; however, when I use the tangent function to get the distance between the smaller building and the observer [150 tan(56)] I get the wrong answer and I do not understand why. The only solutions to this problem that I have found involve the law of sines, which has not been covered yet. If I knew the distance between the observer and the smaller building (let's call it x), then I would be able to construct a right triangle from the observing to above the smaller building, where the triangle would have acute angles 78 and 12 and a leg of length x; however, I would not know how to proceed from there.

My questions are: why can I not use [150 tan(56)] to calculate x, how do I calculate x, and how do I find h from the triangle with leg x and angles 78 and 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ciubba said:
From a position 150 ft above the ground, an observer in a building measures angles of depression of 12° and 34° to the top and bottom, respectively, of a smaller building, as in the picture on the right. Use this to find the height h of the smaller building.

I have found that the angle between the observer and the ground is 56°; however, when I use the tangent function to get the distance between the smaller building and the observer [150 tan(56)] I get the wrong answer and I do not understand why. The only solutions to this problem that I have found involve the law of sines, which has not been covered yet. If I knew the distance between the observer and the smaller building (let's call it x), then I would be able to construct a right triangle from the observing to above the smaller building, where the triangle would have acute angles 78 and 12 and a leg of length x; however, I would not know how to proceed from there.

My questions are: why can I not use [150 tan(56)] to calculate x, how do I calculate x, and how do I find h from the triangle with leg x and angles 78 and 12.
A drawing would be very helpful.

One thing I need to ask - is your calculator in degree mode?

Likes FactChecker
I did my best to draw it, and yes, my calculator is in degree mode. I used variables to represent any quantity that wasn't explicitly given to me by the problem. By the complement rule, I think theta is 56°; however, I get the wrong answer for x when I do [150 tan(56)]. It is apparently solvable without the law of sines as the book has not covered that idea yet.

I believe that A is 90° and that B is 78°. I want to find the variable "h," which is the height of the small building.

Attachments

• 14186124278125.png
    14186124278125.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,105
Your equation of x = 150 tan(56°) is fine. I did it another way, but the two ways are equivalent. All you need is another equation that involves x and h.

In your drawing, extend the line segment of length h all the way to the top so that you have a rectangle that is 150' by x'. Using the 34° you can use the dimensions of the triangle whose acute angle is 34° - that's your second equation. You don't need the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines - just some ordinary right triangle trig.

BTW, this is a homework problem, so I am moving it to the Homework & Coursework sections, which is where problems of this sort should be posted.

Mark44 said:
Your equation of x = 150 tan(56°) is fine. I did it another way, but the two ways are equivalent. All you need is another equation that involves x and h.

In your drawing, extend the line segment of length h all the way to the top so that you have a rectangle that is 150' by x'. Using the 34° you can use the dimensions of the triangle whose acute angle is 34° - that's your second equation. You don't need the Law of Sines or the Law of Cosines - just some ordinary right triangle trig.

BTW, this is a homework problem, so I am moving it to the Homework & Coursework sections, which is where problems of this sort should be posted.

Oh, it looks like I forgot to subtract h from 150! The answer is then 103. Thank you for the advice!

ciubba said:
Problem was initially posted in a technical math section, so is missing the homework template.

wherw did you get 56 degree?

Cess said:
wherw did you get 56 degree?
Fill in the unknown angles based on the known angles.

ciubba said:
Oh, it looks like I forgot to subtract h from 150! The answer is then 103. Thank you for the advice!
Good. In the future, it would be good to show the intermediate results of your calculations. Then it may be possible for you and others to spot a mistake quickly.

FactChecker said:
Good. In the future, it would be good to show the intermediate results of your calculations. Then it may be possible for you and others to spot a mistake quickly.
What? Post #6 comes six years after the initial few posts. Maybe the original poster member has moved on already.

Likes PeroK
symbolipoint said:
What? Post #6 comes six years after the initial few posts. Maybe the original poster member has moved on already.
Just trying to help. I didn't notice the dates of the posts.

FactChecker said:
Just trying to help. I didn't notice the dates of the posts.
I have done the same thing at times.

symbolipoint said:
Yep, the OP was last seen about four years ago. I thought about deleting the new post, as he would not likely get a reply from the orig. poster, but decided against it, and posted a reply instead.

Q: What is Right Angle Trigonometry?

Right Angle Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of right triangles. It uses the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for unknown sides and angles in a right triangle.

Q: What are the primary trigonometric functions used in Right Angle Trigonometry?

The primary trigonometric functions used in Right Angle Trigonometry are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are defined as the ratios of the sides of a right triangle, and can be used to find unknown sides and angles in a right triangle.

Q: How is Right Angle Trigonometry used in the real world?

Right Angle Trigonometry is used in a variety of real world applications, such as engineering, navigation, and surveying. It is also used in fields such as architecture, physics, and astronomy to calculate distances, heights, and angles.

Q: What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it related to Right Angle Trigonometry?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a fundamental theorem in Right Angle Trigonometry that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is often used in conjunction with trigonometric functions to solve for unknown sides and angles in a right triangle.

Q: Can Right Angle Trigonometry be applied to non-right triangles?

No, Right Angle Trigonometry can only be applied to right triangles. However, the concepts and principles of Right Angle Trigonometry can be extended to other types of triangles through the use of trigonometric identities and laws.