1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right limit of a composite function. Original functions limits are known.

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0+}f(x)=A [/tex]
    and
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0-}f(x)=B[/tex] find

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0+}f(x^{3}-x)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont have one. Im dumbfounded. Mostly i have been trying to understand the meaning of the composite function. Im not sure if this is correct but

[tex]f(x^{3}-x) =f(x(x^{2}-1))= f(x)f(x^{2}-1)[/tex]

Then i have at least isolated f(x), whose limit is known, but the other factor i dont know what to do about.
    I've been thinking about the meaning of the limits for the original function f(x). Since A is not equal to B, f(x) is not even. f(x) could be odd, but we dont know that. I dont know how that would help me, its just something i thought of.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, it's not correct at all. It is not generally true that f(ab) = f(a)f(b).

Under certain conditions, though, you can reverse the order of taking a limit and evaluating a function. Your textbook probably has a theorem that deals with this.

4. Dec 22, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the sign of (x3-x), when 0 < x < 1 ?

5. Dec 22, 2011 #4
    Oh ok, darn. I just tested it with f(x) = Ax + B, wich was stupid.
    I was trying to find a theorem about it in my textbook (Calculus by Adams) but failed. Any tips on books that can teach me more about composite functions?

Negative, since x3 < x there.

6. Dec 22, 2011 #5
    Am i wrong in assuming that if for instance

[tex]f(x)=Ax+B[/tex]

then

[tex]f(x^{3}-x)=(Ax+B)^{3}-(Ax+B)[/tex] ?

7. Dec 22, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are wrong. You have the order of composition backwards. If [itex]f(x)= x^3- x[/itex] then [itex]f(Ax+ B)= (Ax+B)^3- (Ax+B)[/itex].

With f(x)= Ax+B, then [itex]f(x^3- x)= A(x^3- x)+ B[/itex].

In any case, this has nothing to do with the original question. You know That [itex]x^3- x< 0[/itex] for x between 0 and 1 and, of course, goes to 0 as x goes to 0. And you know that [itex]\lim_{x\to 0^-}f(x)= B[/itex].

8. Dec 23, 2011 #7
    Oh right, thats how compositions are structured! Darn i have forgotten alot.

Ok, so since we have x^3 - x in place of x, in the original function f(x), and x^3 - x < 0 when 0 < x < 1, we have created the situation

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0-}f(x)[/tex]

Wich is B. The answer is B.

Did i understand it now?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. Dec 23, 2011 #8

gb7nash

Homework Helper

That's correct.

What about the case [itex]\lim_{x \to 0^+} f(x^3+x)[/itex]?

10. Dec 23, 2011 #9
    Ok, since [tex] x^{3}+x > 0[/tex] when [tex] 0 < x < 1[/tex] and since [tex]x^{3}+x \rightarrow 0[/tex] when [tex] x \rightarrow 0[/tex] we should get

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0+}f(x^{3}+x) = A[/tex]

Am i right?

11. Dec 23, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd agree with that.

12. Dec 23, 2011 #11
    Thank you very much Mark44, SammyS, HallsofIvy, gb7nash and Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook