Right or left why homeless ?

• Thread starter oldtobor
  • Start date
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Heres a tip on reality NN courtesy of one of my professors

During the early 70's they were complaining that instead of sending men to the moon, we could use the money to successfully get rid of poverty. By 1973 we had stopped sending men to the moon. Poverty still exists.

LOL!

I quite fancy the idea of sitting in a homeless shelter, watching people return to the moon on the television. :D Doesn't bother me at all.

Besides, being homeless is all in your head - being a working, productive member of society really doesn't take much effort at all. But it does require a first step. As I meantioned before; it's just laziness.

Hey Pen,
So what are ya tellin' me here Pen? That universal shelter is unrealistic? I disagree. What makes one of your professors the last word on an issue? What was that professor's field - business? Are ya human or hyena? Do ya care about anyone else? What do you think civilization's all about Pen? Get in the game, son! You'll/we'll all be dead soon enough - what're ya doin' with the privilege of being the most powerful being known to exist?

Peace and love,
NN

TRCSF said:
Mmhmm. Ever been in charge of hiring? How many homeless people did you hire?
I've actually hired quite a few in my day. On several times went through a place called Labor Express - this same place was where I started to get my own feet back on the ground. I knew several of the people I hired... as far as I know, they're still homeless and working part-time there!

On a note; the jobs I needed people for paid US$9/hr, this wasn't minimum wage, if any one of them really wanted to help themselves, it could've been done here. But out of about 20 people, there was only one who actually made it and I think is now working for the city P&R Dept for something like US$14/hr. Good kid. :)

Pengwuino
Gold Member
NEBRASKA NATURALIST said:
Hey Pen,
So what are ya tellin' me here Pen? That universal shelter is unrealistic? I disagree. What makes one of your professors the last word on an issue? What was that professor's field - business? Are ya human or hyena? Do ya care about anyone else? What do you think civilization's all about Pen? Get in the game, son! You'll/we'll all be dead soon enough - what're ya doin' with the privilege of being the most powerful being known to exist?
Im telling you to get a clue. The world is more complicated as "hey, people gots money, we can make everyone happy with it". He was a physicist by the way but it shows real insight, something you dont seem to have. Who makes you the last word on the issue? Throwing money at an issue has never worked. The fact that I oppose blind wasteful spending does not make me a non-caring individual. Your statements make me wonder if you are on some sort of drug or are still too young to understand the complexities of social problems facing mankind. Your weird little connection with hyena's and other animals is weird because homeless people are also human and as you put it, "the most powerful beings known to exist" so why shouldnt they be able to help themselves? They are "the most powerful beings known to exist" and even bears can find shelter....

And to be more direct, the reason i made the comparison with what my professor said is that people exactly like you made the same exact complaint and they got their wish yet to their amazement, the problem was not solved. This now and then shows an underlying ignorance of the real problems creating homelessness

Last edited:
devil-fire
Arctic Fox said:
What make you think that the homeless even deserve houses? If you're homeless, you need to get off your butt and get a damn job.

I was homeless for 7 years with nothing but a compact car and the crap I could fit into the trunk. I used to sleep in the back seat parked up in the forests. Breakfast was free at the Salvation Army every weekday. Dinner was served by the local churches around town. If I needed gas money, I'd go to the day-labour places and make $40 for the day, then I was set for the whole month. I could take a shower at the local hostel...

I made a lot of friends whom were also homeless for one reason or another - mainly because we were all too lazy to do anything productive. Most of us would waste the day sleeping in our cars/trucks/vans at the local park, or hanging out talking about how crazy the rest of the world was. A few would follow their hobby of panning for gold - going to hit it rich, no doubt.

We were worthless. Unproductive beyond belief. I actually did some traveling across the US and back, 26 states, meeting other homeless across the country. We were all the same.

So, no. I don't think the homeless should get anything until they can prove to us that they have some sort of desire to do... well, anything.

As for me, I met a girl who encouraged me to walk amongst the employed and responsible. :!!)

this seems like a bit of a problem to me, i mean i would expect people would be more satisfyed with life if they were productive and Applyed themselves. the difficulty would be convincing people to do this. the help is there if they want it, but maybe they could use help with motivation? the issue of homlessness still strikes me in a failure in the social system but not from a financial point of view.