Rigid Box Particle and Heisenberg Principle

In summary, for the ground state of a particle in a rigid box, the uncertainty in momentum is Δp≈ (h/2π)k and the uncertainty in position is Δx≈ a/2. These uncertainties are consistent with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that ΔpΔx≥h/4π. This is demonstrated in the zero point energy phenomenon, as shown in the sources provided.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

For the ground state of a particle in a rigid box, we
have seen that the momentum has a definite magni-
tude (h/2π)k but is equally likely to be in either direction.
This means that the uncertainty in p is Δp≈ (h/2π)k. The
uncertainty in position is Δx≈ a/2. Verify that these
uncertainties are consistent with the Heisenberg
uncertainty principle.

Homework Equations

Heisenberg Relations
Δp= h/2pi Δk ...(1)
ΔxΔk ≥ 1/2
ΔxΔp≥ (h/2pi)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a/2)Δp≥h/4pi

Δp≥h/(2pi*a )

p=(pi/a)h-bar

I am not sure, if I am in the right direction. I feel that I am going in circles. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given that Δp ≈ hk/(2π). Use what you know about the ground state of a particle in a box to express k in terms of a.

Then see what you get for ΔpΔx.

k=π/a

a≈(h/2)(1/Δp) ,a=2Δx
2Δx=(h/2)(1/Δp)

Δp*Δx=(h/4)

I still don't see it. Help, please.

Last edited:
Yes, k = π/a. I think what you did is ok.

I would have written it out a little differently:

You were given in the statement of the problem that you could assume Δp≈hk/(2π). So, when you substitute for k you get

Δp ≈ h(π/a)(1/(2π)) = h/(2a).

You were also given that Δx≈a/2.

So, putting it together, ΔpΔx ≈ h/(2a) (a/2) = h/4. This is the same as your result.

The question asks you to state whether or not this is consistent with the uncertainty principle. What do you think?

Thank you, Freunde.

It agrees with Heisenberg equation.
## \Delta p \Delta x \geq \dfrac {\hbar}{2} = 5.272 \times 10^{-35} m^{2} \times \dfrac {kg}{s} ##
## \Delta p \Delta x= h/4 = 16.5 \times 10^{-35} \times m^{2} \times \dfrac{kg}{s} ##

Good!

I Thought this will be helpful

I have attached two pdf files.problem 4.2 in the pdf named uncertainty will give you the actual uncertainty relation for your problem and the second pdf file will show you that how this uncertainty results in zero point energy.

Attachments

• uncertainity.pdf
    324.6 KB · Views: 434
  • zero point energy.pdf
    242.2 KB · Views: 1,417
m1rohit said:
I have attached two pdf files.problem 4.2 in the pdf named uncertainty will give you the actual uncertainty relation for your problem and the second pdf file will show you that how this uncertainty results in zero point energy.

Thank you for the information.
Could you cite your sources?
Also, can anyone else corroborate that the sources are right?

oh it is taken from a excellent book named concept and application of quantum mechanics by Nouredine Zettili.this book is easily available you can check it yourself

1. What is the Rigid Box Particle model?

The Rigid Box Particle model is a simplified mathematical representation of a particle as a small, rigid, and non-rotating box. This model is often used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces.

2. How does the Rigid Box Particle model relate to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Rigid Box Particle model is useful in understanding the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The Rigid Box Particle model allows for the calculation of the minimum uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle within a confined space.

3. What are the limitations of the Rigid Box Particle model?

The Rigid Box Particle model is a simplified representation and does not account for the complexities and interactions of real particles. It also does not take into account the effects of quantum tunneling and wave-like behavior of particles.

4. How is the Rigid Box Particle model used in practical applications?

The Rigid Box Particle model is used in various areas of physics, such as in the study of atomic and molecular structures, quantum computing, and the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It is also used in engineering for the design and analysis of nanoscale devices.

5. Can the Rigid Box Particle model be applied to all particles?

No, the Rigid Box Particle model is only applicable to particles that can be treated as point-like and non-rotating, such as electrons. It cannot be applied to larger objects or particles with complex internal structures.