Rigorous Coupled Wave Analisys - help

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand the computational analysis of diffraction grating efficiencies using RCWA. The person is using a book by Soifer but is having trouble understanding or agreeing with it. They are trying to derive equations rather than just using them in Matlab and found that their derivation does not match the book's. They have two specific questions about equations 3.138, 3.139, 3.140, 3.141, and 3.150 and are seeking clarification. They also mention attachments with additional pages and equations (*) and (***) related to the topic. They clarify that they are not looking for someone to do their work, but have been struggling with understanding it for a while and are seeking
Krzysztow
Hi,

Recently I'm trying to understand some explanation of RCWA, which introduces to computational analysis of diffraction grating efficiences. For explanation I use Soifer book, but cannot understand or don't agree with it. I tried to understand the derivation, not to write it straightforward into Matlab but understand as well. And I found that my derivation doesn't agreefully with the book. Can You explain to me:
1) how one can get from the set of equations 3.138 & 3.139 to the set 3.140 & 3.141. I got something for 3.140 like in equation (*).
2) where did He get set 3.150 from? It seems as if assumption (**) or (3.127) is not valid anymore. However then He shouldn't write 3.152.
If assumption (3.127) is valid for modulation zone, then result for coefficients is given by (***)

Please, help me. It's not I want anyone to do my work. I just dwell for too long on it. Thank in advance!

Attachments

• DSCN6430.JPG
    DSCN6430.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCN6431.JPG
    DSCN6431.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 427
  • DSCN6432.JPG
    DSCN6432.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
More attachements

Attachments

• DSCN6433.JPG
    DSCN6433.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCN6434.JPG
    DSCN6434.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCN6435.JPG
    DSCN6435.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 397
7th, 8th and 9th pages

Attachments

• DSCN6438.JPG
    DSCN6438.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCN6437.JPG
    DSCN6437.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCN6436.JPG
    DSCN6436.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 446
10th and 11th and (*)

Attachments

• DSCN6439.JPG
    DSCN6439.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCN6440.JPG
    DSCN6440.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 440
  • T.jpg
    T.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 377
(**) and (***)

Attachments

• Assumption.jpg
    Assumption.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Result.jpg
    Result.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 366

What is Rigorous Coupled Wave Analysis (RCWA)?

Rigorous Coupled Wave Analysis (RCWA) is a numerical method used to analyze the electromagnetic response of periodic structures. It is commonly used in the field of optics to study the diffraction and scattering of light from periodic structures such as gratings and photonic crystals.

How does RCWA work?

RCWA works by solving Maxwell's equations numerically for a periodic structure. It divides the structure into a series of layers and calculates the scattering and diffraction of light at each layer. The results are then combined to give an overall solution for the entire structure.

What are the limitations of RCWA?

One of the main limitations of RCWA is that it assumes the structure is perfectly periodic, which may not be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, RCWA may not be suitable for structures with very small features or structures that are not planar.

What are the advantages of using RCWA?

RCWA is a powerful tool for analyzing periodic structures as it can accurately predict the behavior of light in these structures. It is also computationally efficient and can handle complex structures with multiple layers and different materials.

How is RCWA used in research and industry?

RCWA is used in a variety of applications, such as designing photonic devices, studying the properties of materials, and optimizing the performance of optical systems. It is also commonly used in the semiconductor industry for the design and characterization of photonic integrated circuits.