1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring of charge (half positive, half negative)

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two half-rings of charge of opposite polarity are brought together at the origin (so that the rings create a full circle against the y- and z-axis. Each half-ring has a charge of magnitude Q and radius a. Derive the net electric field at point P, located on the +x axis a distance d from the centre of the two half-rings.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really have no idea how to work this out from what we learned in lecture; "electric field of a ring of charge".. Help, please!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As start, can you figure out the direction of the field there? Let the line of join of the semicircles be the y-axis, say. Consider separately the components of the field in the x, y and z directions. Can you see any that must cancel by symmetry?

4. Jan 28, 2013 #3
    I've worked it out conceptually to see that only those in the z direction do not cancel out but I'm at lost on how to retrieve that mathematically.

5. Jan 28, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Explain to us how to find the field due to a ring of charge then — you know, what you went over in lecture. If you understand what was done there, you should be able to make a dent in this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook