RIP General Chuck Yeager, dead at 97

In summary: He talks about his early years and how he became interested in aviation. He talks about his breaking of the sound barrier and some of the challenges he faced along the way. He was an amazing man and I'm glad I had the chance to meet him.
berkeman
Mentor
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/07/us/chuck-yeager-death/index.html

What an amazing life. I'm glad we had him all the way to 97!

1607436405395.png

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude, Astronuc, russ_watters and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, he was apparently a hell of a guy.

I'll always remember the line in "The Right Stuff" where Dennis Quaid, when asked who to best pilot was that he ever knew, said "You're looking at him!", but at first looked very wistful and said thoughtfully, "Well ... there was this one guy ... ". I think that neatly sums up how Americans viewed Yeager.

Likes Ivan Seeking and berkeman
He also fought against nazis. Thank you from Europe, Yeager.

Likes Ivan Seeking, russ_watters, Klystron and 1 other person
I had a chance to meet Yeager once. He made a point to explain that little bump you can see on the nose of the plane. People would always ask about that and it's role in the design. It was assumed to serve some critical function. But he said that the truth is that they had forgotten to run a cable and there was no where to run it. So at the last minute they had to pound that out so they could run the cable around the frame.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes BillTre, 2milehi, mcastillo356 and 1 other person
Author Tom Wolfe was right about General Yeager's affect on USAF "radio speak". The right stuff concept was a lot of guff to sell books but spoken chatter over our FM network, not to mention pilot communications, sounded like market day in Hamlin, West Virginia, .

Chuck Yeager inspired many Air Force members; rising in the ranks from sergeant to general; always with an engineer's knowledge of his aircraft and equipment. I heard through the desert grapevine that his 1975 retirement celebrations were memorable.

Likes Ivan Seeking and berkeman
Nice article about Chuck. I really enjoyed reading his autobiography many years ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/08/opinions/chuck-yeager-avlon/index.html

Chuck Yeager's brand of American cool -- hell, his brand of American heroism -- was based on taking your job seriously but never yourself: "Everybody that I've ever seen that enjoyed their job was very good at it," Yeager common-sensically noted. Unafraid and uncomplaining, Yeager was all about the mission; pushing the barrier past what other people think is possible.
He was competitive and individualistic without losing sight of the common good. An unpretentious belief in duty, honor and country may sound quaint, but it ain't. This is the real tough stuff, not the posturing you see from so many pretenders.

Yeager made his own rules and refused to completely surrender the stage. He broke the sound barrier again at age 74 and a few years later when a fan asked him what it was like, Yeager replied on Twitter, "It will never replace sex."

Likes mcastillo356, BillTre and Ivan Seeking
Likes berkeman

1. Who is General Chuck Yeager?

General Chuck Yeager, born in 1923, was an American test pilot and Air Force officer who became the first person to break the sound barrier in 1947.

2. How did General Chuck Yeager die?

General Chuck Yeager passed away on December 7, 2020 at the age of 97 due to natural causes.

3. What were General Chuck Yeager's accomplishments?

In addition to being the first person to break the sound barrier, General Chuck Yeager also flew combat missions during World War II and the Vietnam War, and served as a test pilot for the Air Force.

4. What impact did General Chuck Yeager have on the field of aviation?

General Chuck Yeager's successful breaking of the sound barrier opened up new possibilities and advancements in aviation technology, paving the way for supersonic flight and space exploration.

5. What is General Chuck Yeager's legacy?

General Chuck Yeager will be remembered as a pioneer in aviation and a true American hero who pushed the boundaries of what was thought to be possible. His legacy will continue to inspire future generations of pilots and scientists.