1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC circuit, need some help with the intuition behind inductors.

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I attached a picture of a sample problem that I was confused about. What I don't understand is why the V2 voltmeter would read 0 volts (according to the answer key). This is because I thought that an inductor produces an induced emf and current. So wouldn't the voltmeter read a negative value instead of zero?

Edit: immediately after the switch is closed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2
    Are they asking about when the switch is off?

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    Oops, immediately after the switch is closed.

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4
    I am very weak at circuits and I wish my physics II teacher could gives us better insight to this stuff, however, here is a thought: Initial charge goes from high potential, but when it hits the inductor, the induced current is supposed to oppose it right? So, it never actually gets through that part of the circuit and so the voltage does read anything it goes through it right? I mean, can you back me up on this one if you feel this is completely wrong?

6. Mar 28, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The voltmeter will not read negative.

What are your answers for the other meters after the switch is closed? Explain your reasoning behind each answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook