What Is the RMS Amplitude of a Sinusoid in a Noisy Environment?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the RMS amplitude of a sinusoidal signal in the presence of noise, with an SNR of 10 dB and an RMS value of 0.5 volts. The equation SNR=20log(signal/noise)dB is used to calculate the answer, which is determined to be 1.58 volts. The conversation also mentions that the answer is exactly 10 and that it may be related to homework. The person asking for guidance is new to this area and is seeking help in understanding the relationship they may be missing.
TomUIC
Q: A single sinusoidal signal is found in a large amount of noise. If the RMS value of the noise is 0.5 volts and the SNR is 10 dB, what is the RMS amplitude of the sinusoid?

I've related the question to the following equation: SNR=20log(singal/noise)dB

My answer is 1.58 volts, BUT I'm not entirely sure if that is what they are asking for. Just looking for a little guidance on the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TomUIC. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

20.log(1.58/0.5) = 10 dB so your answer looks right. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm ... the answer is exactly 10 ... homework?

Windadct said:
Hmmmm ... the answer is exactly 10 ... homework?

Yes homework, what relationship am I missing? I'm new to this area so any help is appreciated.

I would like to clarify that the RMS amplitude of a sinusoid refers to the root-mean-square amplitude, which is the effective amplitude of the signal. This is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of the squared amplitudes of the signal over a given time period.

In this scenario, the RMS amplitude of the sinusoid can be calculated by first converting the SNR from decibels to a ratio. Using the given equation, we can rearrange it to solve for the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) as follows:

SNR = 10^(SNR/20) = 10^(10/20) = 10^(0.5) = 3.16

Now, we can use this ratio to calculate the RMS amplitude of the sinusoid by multiplying it by the RMS value of the noise (0.5 volts).

RMS amplitude of sinusoid = 3.16 * 0.5 volts = 1.58 volts

Therefore, the RMS amplitude of the sinusoid in this scenario is 1.58 volts. It is important to note that this value represents the effective amplitude of the sinusoid in the presence of noise and not the actual peak amplitude of the sinusoid.

1. What is the RMS amplitude of a sinusoid?

The RMS (Root Mean Square) amplitude of a sinusoid is a measure of the average amplitude of a periodic signal. It is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of the squared values of the amplitude over a specified time period.

2. How is the RMS amplitude different from the peak-to-peak amplitude?

The peak-to-peak amplitude is the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the amplitude over a specified time period. The RMS amplitude takes into account the entire waveform and is a more accurate measure of the signal's amplitude compared to the peak-to-peak amplitude.

3. Can the RMS amplitude of a sinusoid be negative?

No, the RMS amplitude is always a positive value. This is because the squared values of the amplitude are used in the calculation, resulting in a positive value even if the original amplitude is negative.

4. How is the RMS amplitude related to the average amplitude of a sinusoid?

The RMS amplitude is equivalent to the average amplitude of a sinusoid only if the signal has a constant amplitude. If the amplitude varies over time, the RMS amplitude will be a more accurate representation of the average amplitude compared to simply taking the average of the amplitude values.

5. What is the significance of the RMS amplitude in signal processing?

The RMS amplitude is an important measure in signal processing as it is used to calculate the power of a signal. It is also used in various calculations, such as determining the effective value of an AC signal and calculating the signal-to-noise ratio.