What is the rms current draw of a microwave operating at 1180 W and 120 Vrms?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the peak power consumption and rms current of a microwave operating at 120 Vrms. The equations used are P=VI, peak=I^2R, Vrms=.707Vp, and Irms=Ip/sqrt(2). The confusion arises when combining peak and rms values, but it is clarified that working exclusively in either peak or rms is best. It is also noted that Ppeak=2Pavg and Pp=2Pavg, which may contribute to the confusion. The correct answer is obtained by using Ppeak=VI and solving for Irms.
saritche

Homework Statement

peak power consumed by microwave is 1180 W when operated at 120 Vrms. What rms current does that microwave draw?

Homework Equations

I'm not getting the correct answer, I think I am getting I and V confused with Irms and Vrms and Imax.

The Attempt at a Solution

I=P/V
Peak=I^2R
Vrms=.707V

Physics news on Phys.org
so waht answer do you get & how?

I found a value for R with P=V^2/R and tried plugging that into P=I^2R, then I took that I multiplied by .707

best to work all in rms or all in peak, never combine the 2

note Vrms = Vp/sqrt(2) where Vp is peak V
and Irms = Ip/sqrt(2)

If P = VI, what is the relation between peak & avg power

If we say

Pavg = Vrms.Irms
Pp = Vp.Ip

Last edited:
thats the part I don't understand, how to combine the two equations to get the relationship between the two, are they equal because power is conserved?

P=VI is always true & its fine to use either (rms or peak), so you know you are working in peak or rms exclusively

if you combine the definitions below they give
Pp = 2.Pavg
this is probably where the confusion comes in

so convert to avg power then use P = VI

the answer is just not coming out:
I plugged in Ppeak=2(Vrms*Irms)
which is 1180=2(120)*2Irms
1180/240=2Irms
Irms=2.458

am I not getting something? or is it a number thing?

saritche said:
the answer is just not coming out:
I plugged in Ppeak=2(Vrms*Irms)
which is 1180=2(120)*2Irms

? you have added an extra factor of two here, any reason?

saritche said:
1180/240=2Irms
Irms=2.458

am I not getting something? or is it a number thing?

I assumed I had to multiply 2 times each factor 2(VI). I got it now... thank you so much for your help!

What is the meaning of "Rms current in microwave"?

The root mean square (Rms) current in a microwave refers to the average value of the alternating current (AC) that flows through the microwave's circuit. It is a measure of the effective current that produces the same heating effect as the actual current.

How is Rms current related to the power of a microwave?

Rms current is directly proportional to the power of a microwave. A higher Rms current means a higher power output, which results in faster and more efficient heating of food in a microwave.

What factors affect the Rms current in a microwave?

The Rms current in a microwave is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the efficiency of the microwave's components. Any changes in these factors can impact the Rms current and the overall performance of the microwave.

Why is it important to monitor the Rms current in a microwave?

Monitoring the Rms current in a microwave is crucial for ensuring its safe and efficient operation. An abnormally high Rms current can indicate a malfunction or damage to the microwave, while a low Rms current may result in inadequate heating and longer cooking times.

How can Rms current be measured in a microwave?

Rms current can be measured using a multimeter or a clamp meter. These devices can accurately measure the alternating current in a circuit and calculate the Rms value. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when measuring the Rms current in a microwave.