1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RMS error in volume of a cylinder

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The length and radius of a perfect cylinder are measured with an RMS error of 1%. The RMS error of the inferred volume of the cylinder is.. ?

2. Relevant equations
    V=∏r2h
    Hence dV/V=2dr/r+dh/h

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took dr/r and dh/h as 1%. So got the final answer as 2x1%+1%=3%
    But the question came with 4 options(one of which is correct):
    1.7%, 3.3%, 0.5% and 1%

So my answer is wrong ! What am I overlooking ? Is there any special precautions to be taken about RMS error ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The uncertainties of the two measurements should be independent, so I would add those contributions in quadrature and not linear. But then the result is 2.2% :D.
    1.7% would be the answer if all three dimensions had been measured independently.

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    Could you please explain that, or give some link where it has been explained ? I didn't quiet understand what you meant by that.. X-)

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The two errors might add up, but also they might partly cancel. So the RMS error in the volume will be less than simply 3 x one dimension of error. Instead, you use a root-sum-squares way of adding them up. But mfb is right that the answer should not be 1.7 either. That would be the answer for volume of a rectangular block with independent 1% errors in each of the three dimensions: √(12+12+12) = √3.
    In the present case, there are only two measurements. An error of x% in the radius will produce an error of 2x% in the cross-sectional area, so we have √(12+22) = √5 ≈ 2.2, which is not in the list.

6. Feb 9, 2013 #5
    Ok. So √3 which matches with one of the given options doesn't really make much sense.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. What was more important to me was how to find the RMS error(of any measurement, not just the volume of a cylinder) rather than just matching answers with options. I guess I learnt that. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook