Calculating the RMS Voltage of a Triangle Wave: Derivation and Integration

In summary, the RMS voltage of a triangle wave can be derived by taking the square root of 2 divided by the period and multiplied by the peak voltage. The derivation involves using limits of integration in terms of the period and squaring the function before integrating. There may be some confusion with the notation and definition of the triangle waveform, but the solution can still be found by following the given information.
Nothing000
What the RMS voltage is of a triangle wave?

I am supposed to derive it. I am coming up with [tex]\frac{2}{T}\sqrt{V_{m}[/tex]

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is the derivation I did. Where it says [tex] \{n | n \in Z \} [/tex] I meant to say "for some integer n", I was just trying to be fancy, but I guess that's the incorrect notation.

I am attempting to upload a better image. Hopefully this is better:

Attachments

• Vrms Derivation.gif
    Vrms Derivation.gif
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,936
Last edited:
Crap, I didn't square [tex]v(t)[/tex] in the radical.
Damn it!

Does anyone see anything else wrong?

I am uncomfortable with your definition of the triangle waveform. I would define the function and express your limits of integration in terms of the period. To be more general you may need to avoid using 0 as one extreme of the waveform.

So for example the first part would be :
[tex] v = \frac {4(v_m - v_0)t} T + v_0 [/tex]
With
[tex] 0 \leq t \leq \frac T 4 [/tex]

I based this on the coordindate pair
[tex] (v_0, 0) ; (v_m , \frac T 4) [/tex]

So this waveform would have miminums of [itex] v_0 [/itex] at 0 , [itex] \frac T 2 [/itex] and [itex] T [/itex]

and maxs of [itex] v_m [/itex] at [itex] \frac T 4 [/itex] and [itex] \frac {3T} 4 [/itex]

When you say definition of triangle waveform are you referring to the definition of v(t) at the top of the page?
Because this information is given to us just like that, except it says "for integer n" instead of the notation [tex] \{n | n \in Z \} [/tex] which I incorectly used.

Ok, so that is a definition of a specific triangle wave, under that definiton, isn't T=1 ?

Given that that the problem is simple, square each part of the function and integrate.

1. What is RMS voltage?

RMS voltage, also known as root mean square voltage, is a way to measure the effective voltage of an alternating current (AC) waveform. It takes into account both the amplitude and the frequency of the waveform to give a single measure of the equivalent direct current (DC) voltage that would produce the same amount of power.

2. How is RMS voltage calculated?

To calculate RMS voltage, you must square the values of the voltage over a period of time, take the average of those values, and then take the square root of that average. The equation for RMS voltage is VRMS = √(V12 + V22 + ... + Vn2) / n, where n is the number of data points.

3. What is a triangle wave?

A triangle wave is a type of waveform that has a linearly increasing and decreasing amplitude over time. It is characterized by its sharp corners and symmetric shape. It is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications.

4. How is the RMS voltage of a triangle wave different from other waveforms?

The RMS voltage of a triangle wave is different from other waveforms because it is a non-sinusoidal waveform. This means that it does not follow the same mathematical calculation as a sinusoidal waveform, such as a sine or cosine wave. The calculation for RMS voltage for a triangle wave is more complex and involves taking into account the shape and frequency of the waveform.

5. Why is it important to know the RMS voltage of a triangle wave?

Knowing the RMS voltage of a triangle wave is important because it allows us to accurately measure the power and energy being delivered by the waveform. This is crucial in many applications, such as power distribution and electronic circuit design, where the RMS voltage is used to determine the appropriate components and settings to use for optimal performance and safety.