Road trip Which option is the best roll-on?

• Thread starter 8re1an
  • Start date
In summary, when driving with cruise-control at a constant speed of 70 mph, the more efficient use of momentum would be with Set #1 (17" x 7.5" @ 16lbs) due to its evenly balanced weight distribution from pivot to outer rim. While Set #2 (17" x 7.5" @ 16lbs) may store more energy/torque in the centrifugal/centripetal relation, it would not have a significant impact on performance when driving at a constant speed. However, when accelerating and decelerating, Set #1 would have better overall performance due to its lower inertia.
8re1an
When up to speed on cruise-control (70 mph), which set of wheels is the more efficient use of momentum?

Set #1 (17" x 7.5" @ 16lbs) has its weight evenly balanced from pivot to outer rim.

Set #2 (17" x 7.5" @ 16lbs) has most of its weight focused on the outer rim.

-Thanks-
:cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
When moving at constant speed, the inertia of the wheels doesn't matter at all. When accelerating and decelerating, the one with the lower inertia (set 1) will give better performance.

Wouldn't set 2 store more energy/torque in the centrifugal/centripetal relation? It would seem as though moving most of the weight to the outer rim would increase the lever arm from the pivot.

(forgive me if I'm using the wrong terminology)

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to ensure a smooth road trip?

The best way to ensure a smooth road trip is to plan and prepare ahead of time. This includes checking the weather and road conditions, packing necessary items such as a first aid kit and snacks, and having a well-maintained vehicle.

2. Should I use a roll-on sunscreen or spray sunscreen for a road trip?

Both roll-on and spray sunscreens can be effective for a road trip. However, roll-on sunscreen may be more convenient and less messy to apply, especially if you are driving. It also allows for more precise application on specific areas.

3. How often should I reapply roll-on sunscreen during a road trip?

It is recommended to reapply roll-on sunscreen every 2 hours, or after swimming or excessive sweating. This will help ensure that you are adequately protected from the sun's UV rays.

4. Can I use roll-on sunscreen on my face?

Yes, you can use roll-on sunscreen on your face. However, be sure to avoid getting it in your eyes and reapply every 2 hours, as the skin on your face may be more sensitive and prone to sun damage.

5. What is the difference between water-resistant and waterproof roll-on sunscreen?

Water-resistant sunscreen will maintain its SPF protection for up to 40 minutes while swimming or sweating, whereas waterproof sunscreen will maintain its SPF protection for up to 80 minutes. It is important to reapply both types of sunscreen after swimming or excessive sweating to ensure adequate protection.