Roadrunner Supercomputer to be Decomissioned

• Thread starter CFDFEAGURU
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to work with a supercomputer and the options for obtaining one, including purchasing a used supercomputer or building one with specific components. There is also mention of alternative options such as using multi-seats or utilizing specialized processors for high performance computing.
CFDFEAGURU
I have always wanted to work with a supercomputer. My CFD (computational fluid dynamics) analyst has 128 paralleled processors at his office and that is as close as I have come so far.

Maybe I could buy this one? :)

http://phys.org/news/2013-03-line-roadrunner-supercomputer.html

Thanks
Matt

Computer science news on Phys.org
there are some people doing some weird things with ARM chips.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone?ref=category

multi-threading, multi-cores, parallel, those concepts can be confusing. you could either make it multi-seats while more people sharing the same computer or one person using more than one computer.

I think I would just build my own computer with dual xeon e5 with 64gb of ram, add one of these if it's not enough:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/high-performance-computing/high-performance-xeon-phi-coprocessor-brief.html

if the software it's related to cuda, then Nvidia , opencl then AMD.

What is the Roadrunner Supercomputer?

The Roadrunner Supercomputer is a high-performance computing system that was built by IBM for the Los Alamos National Laboratory in 2008. It was the first supercomputer to break the petaflop barrier, meaning it could perform one quadrillion calculations per second.

Why is the Roadrunner Supercomputer being decommissioned?

The Roadrunner Supercomputer is being decommissioned due to its age and the rapid advancements in technology. It is now outdated and can no longer keep up with the demands of modern scientific research.

What was the purpose of the Roadrunner Supercomputer?

The Roadrunner Supercomputer was used for a variety of scientific and national security purposes, such as simulating nuclear weapons, studying astrophysics, and developing renewable energy sources.

What will happen to the data stored on the Roadrunner Supercomputer?

The data stored on the Roadrunner Supercomputer will be transferred to other high-performance computing systems or archived for future use by researchers. The decommissioning process will ensure the safe and secure transfer of all data.

What will replace the Roadrunner Supercomputer?

The Los Alamos National Laboratory has already acquired a new supercomputer, named Trinity, which is currently ranked as one of the top 10 fastest supercomputers in the world. This new system will take over the workload and continue to advance scientific research in various fields.