Calculating Angular Velocity and Revolutions: Magnetic Disk Problem

• Thread starter fsm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, a magnetic computer disk 8.0 cm in diameter initially at rest has a small dot painted on the edge. It accelerates at 600 rad/s^2 for 0.5 seconds and then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another 0.5 seconds. The speed of the dot at t=1.0s is 12m/s and it has turned 35.8 revolutions. The equations used were for uniformly accelerated angular motion: w=w0+at and theta=theta0+wit+.5at^2. The total distance traveled is 225rad and the revolutions can also be calculated by dividing the distance by 2pi, giving a total of 35.8 revolutions.
fsm

Homework Statement

A magnetic computer disk 8.0 cm in diameter is initially at rest. A small dot is painted on the edge of the disk. The disk accelerates at 600 rad/s^2 for .5s, then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another .5s.

A.What is the speed of the dot at t = 1.0 s? 12m/s
b. Through how many revolutions has it turned?

Homework Equations

ummm rotational kinematics...this really isn't the issue

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of find theta for the first and second part then adding them, but this did not work. Then i tried to find alpha for the second part 300rad/s^2 then using omega as 300rad/s to get theta at 450

I am stuck on this problem trying to find the revolutions. I tried the above attempt but it was wrong. I know this is pretty easy but the more and more I try I'm getting frustrated and all knowledge seems to fly out the window.

Physics news on Phys.org
>> ummm rotational kinematics...this really isn't the issue

Sure it is. Write down the rotational kinematic equations that relate angular position, angular velocity and angular acceleration. Then show your work as you solve for a) and b). If you get stuck, we can offer suggestions by looking at your work.

I suggest you write down the equations for uniformly accelerated angular motion first.

Edit: late again.

For part a:

w=w0+at
w=0+600*.5
w=300rad/s

v=w*r
v=300*0.04
v=12m/s

For part b:
theta=theta0 +w0t+.5at^2
=0+300+.5*300*1
=450
I used the average acceleration. Part b is really a guess.

Try breaking it up into the two parts (accelerating and then coasting) and see if you get the same answers. That would be a good thing to check.

Isn't it 300 in both parts?

ok for the accleration:
theta=theta0+wit+.5at^2
theta=0+0_.5*600*.5^2
theta=75rad

For the coasting:
theta=.5(wf+wi)t
theta=.5(300+300).5
theta=150rad

total distance=225rad
revolutions=225/2pi=35.8 revolutions

fsm said:
For the coasting:
theta=.5(wf+wi)t
theta=.5(300+300).5
theta=150rad

For the coasting you can use the expression [tex]\theta(t) = \omega \cdot t[/tex], where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity after the 0.5 sec acceleration.

Edit: actually, your answer seems to be correct, although I can't understand how you got it, but nevermind.

fsm said:
ok for the accleration:
theta=theta0+wit+.5at^2
theta=0+0_.5*600*.5^2
theta=75rad

For the coasting:
theta=.5(wf+wi)t
theta=.5(300+300).5
theta=150rad

total distance=225rad
revolutions=225/2pi=35.8 revolutions

Right answer, but you really only need the first equation. Once for the interval from 0 to 0.5 sec. Once for the interval from .5 to 1 sec. In the second interval, your initial speed is 300 rad/sec for 0.5 sec while your acceleration is 0. It comes to the same answer either way.

Coolness thanks for the help!

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This can be seen in objects such as spinning tops, wheels, and planets orbiting around the sun.

What are the factors that affect rotational motion?

The factors that affect rotational motion are the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the force or torque applied to the object.

How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion is described using angular velocity and acceleration, while linear motion is described using linear velocity and acceleration.

What is the relationship between torque and rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its angular acceleration will be.

How is rotational motion used in everyday life?

Rotational motion is used in many everyday objects, such as car wheels, bicycle wheels, and ceiling fans. It is also used in machinery and engines, such as in the rotation of gears and turbines.