Robot Location Triangulation Using IR Beacons: Improving LED Sensitivity

• Thread starter TuviaDaCat
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of the home made project is to build a robot that can find its location inside a room using triangulation with 3 Infra red beacons. The robot scans the room using a servo motor and photo sensor, collecting the brightest spots. After trial and error, the use of both LED and phototransistor was determined to be the best method. However, the phototransistor is sensitive to ambient and fluorescent light, so a LED is used as a receptor to only detect the other infra LEDs. The LED is not sensitive enough and needs to be improved to a range of two meters. An array of LEDs was attempted but resulted in an odd manner. The suggestion is to use edge emitting LEDs instead of surface
TuviaDaCat
im doing this home made project, the purpose is to build a robot which can find its location inside a room by doing triangulation to 3 Infra red beacons set inside the room.

the robot does the scanning by turning a photo sensor by a servo motor and it collects the brightest spots.

now after a lot of trial and error i have concluded to use both LED and phototransistor to find the bright spots. the photo transistor is very sensitive and gives me analog data(by POT) though it is also sensitive to bright reflections of ambient and flourescent light which makes it impossible to find the beacons. so i use a LED as a receptor because it is reactive only to the other infra LEDs as a digital component that tells me that i am in the vicinity of the beacon, and only then the phototransistor comes into action(by finding the brightest angle in that area).

now the thing is: the led is not sensitive enough, only sufficient to about 12 cm, and i need to improve the distance to two meters. i tried making an array of LEDs packed togather in a cascade, though it resulted in an odd manner which i could not explain...

so how can i improve the signal? or maybe anyone here has a better idea for a sensor to find the leds?(pass filters?)

Engineering news on Phys.org
My dear friend,there are 2 types of leds.Edge emitting and surface emitting.Of them edge emitting leds are better.Just check the properties of it.

but what is the chance that i will find an egde diode the same wavelength as the surface leds of the beacon?

and still i need to know if it is wrong to use led sensors in a cascade to get better sensitivity.

I think you might be knowing the wavelength of current leds.Just search for other type.I think we can find because the basic difference between two types is that surface emitting led emits in a circular fashion and edge one in elliptical pattern.I din't understand what is meant by odd manner.

well i made a small test, I've put the sensor LED array infront of the beacon(which gives constant light intensity) and probed the sensor LED array with a multi-tester to see how much voltage it would give at a distance.
now at zero range it would give very little as if it was one LED, then at a small distance of 4 cm it would give 1.6 volt, which is very nice, and then further on it would fall again to very low voltage.
so in big distances it would give about the same result as a single led, which does not make any sense to me...

How much voltage do you get from a single LED at 12 cm? To increase that range to 2 meters you would have to amplify the voltage from the LED by (2/0.12)^2 or about 278 times or about 49 dB. This is doable.

Are you pulsing the beacons in order to distinguish them from background infrared? If not you might try that along with tuning your detector for the same frequency. There exist infrared detectors, all in one package, with very high gains for use with remote controls for televisions which would probably give you more range than you need. I've seen them with gains as high as 86 dB.

i have already thought about pulsing the diodes, thing is, i do not know how to POT for photo-transistor which resistance goes up and down. i must know the exact resistance, for each beacon i am searching for the angle of the maximum light intensity to know that i am on the center of it.
is there a way for find light intensity for a pulsing light?

edit: I've just tried it at two meters, it would give 3mV and gives nothing for ambient light when covering the led with a tube.
so I am thinking of using a comparator of the signal with 2 mV... i hope it would do the trick...

Last edited:
I presume your photo-transistor has a collector resistor so you're getting a voltage out at the collector. When you pulse the beacon, the signal strength is proportional to the peak to peak voltage at the collector. Since you can AC couple the varying AC you don't have to worry about your bias voltage affecting the results.

Most commercial controls use a frequency close to 39 kHz. At that frequency or lower you could easily use an opamp to get the desired amplification.

skeptic2 said:
I presume your photo-transistor has a collector resistor so you're getting a voltage out at the collector. When you pulse the beacon, the signal strength is proportional to the peak to peak voltage at the collector. Since you can AC couple the varying AC you don't have to worry about your bias voltage affecting the results.

Most commercial controls use a frequency close to 39 kHz. At that frequency or lower you could easily use an opamp to get the desired amplification.

hmmm, thing is I am testing the light intensity through RC time(varying resistance, constant capacitance). now if i use a high pass filter i would need to measure the voltage instead(again, with RC time, only now the voltage it discharges from will very) i would need to worry a about the resolution, which may vary from 2mv to 1000mv...

im thinking about using both LED and the photoresistor, it would only demand of me to amplify the signal of the LED sensor as a Digital input, the POT for the brightest spot, knowing that i am looking at the beacon, and not some reflective object

the reciever in the link is already designed for a certain frequency, i need to build a pass filter

edit: or maybe a can salvage a remote control! thank you =O

1. How does robot location triangulation using IR beacons work?

Robot location triangulation using IR beacons works by using multiple infrared (IR) beacons placed at known locations in an environment. The robot, equipped with an IR sensor, can receive signals from the beacons and use the strength and direction of the signals to determine its own location in the environment.

2. What is the advantage of using IR beacons for robot location triangulation?

IR beacons have several advantages for robot location triangulation. They are lightweight, inexpensive, and easy to install. They also have a longer range than other types of beacons, allowing for larger and more complex environments to be mapped. Additionally, IR signals are not affected by ambient light, making them more reliable for indoor use.

3. How does improving LED sensitivity affect robot location triangulation using IR beacons?

Improving LED sensitivity can greatly enhance the accuracy and reliability of robot location triangulation using IR beacons. By increasing the sensitivity of the IR sensor, the robot is able to detect weaker signals from the beacons, allowing for more precise triangulation and reducing the margin of error in determining its location.

4. Are there any limitations to using IR beacons for robot location triangulation?

While IR beacons have many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. The accuracy of triangulation can be affected by obstacles or reflective surfaces in the environment, which can cause signal interference. Additionally, the beacons need to be placed strategically to ensure full coverage of the environment, which may not always be feasible.

5. How can the accuracy of robot location triangulation using IR beacons be improved?

There are several ways to improve the accuracy of robot location triangulation using IR beacons. One way is to use a larger number of beacons, which can provide more data points for triangulation. Another way is to use advanced algorithms that can account for signal interference and adjust for inaccuracies. Additionally, regularly calibrating the IR sensor can also help improve accuracy.