Solve Rock Problem Part 2: Time to Push 50Kg Rock 10m

• Thread starter 29 clicks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, to push a 50kg rock 10m, with an acceleration of 0.16m/s2, we can use the kinematics equation d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t2. To find the time it takes, we can substitute the known values and solve for t.
29 clicks
This is the second hardest question on my test, how long does it take to push a rock 10m.

50Kg rock
10 m is the distance
0.16m/s2 is the acceleration

Does anyone know which kinematics equation I should use for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
The four kinematic equations are:

d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t2

vf = vi + a*t

vf2 = vi2 + 2*a*d

d = vi + vf/2 *t

You want to pick the equation that has a "t" in it, and the one that has the most of your information already provided.

P.S. your initial velocity is 0 m/s, remember! :wink:

I know its the first equation since i have all the information except for t, but I'm not good at rearranging question so can you help me just a bit more. Really appreciate it.

ok, so let's substitute the values for what we "know"

d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t2, which would equal:

10 = (0)*t + 1/2*(.16)*t2

we want to try and solve for t, in the first part of the equation, (0)*t, we know that equals 0, so we can get rid of that part, now our equation is:

10 = 1/2*(.16)*t2

can you take it from there?

FAQ: Solve Rock Problem Part 2: Time to Push 50Kg Rock 10m

1. How do you calculate the work required to push a 50kg rock 10m?

The work required to push the rock can be calculated by multiplying the force applied (in this case, the force needed to overcome the weight of the rock) by the distance moved. In this scenario, the work would be equal to the force applied, which is the weight of the rock (50kg * 9.8m/s^2) multiplied by the distance (10m), resulting in 490 Joules.

2. How much force is needed to push the 50kg rock 10m?

In order to overcome the weight of the rock and push it 10m, a force greater than or equal to the weight of the rock is needed. In this case, the force needed would be equal to the weight of the rock, which is 50kg * 9.8m/s^2, resulting in 490 Newtons.

3. How long would it take to push the 50kg rock 10m?

The time it takes to push the rock can be calculated using the formula: time = work / power. In this case, since the work required to push the rock is 490 Joules and the power (force applied over time) is equal to the force needed to push the rock (490 Newtons), the time taken would be 1 second.

4. What is the power needed to push the 50kg rock 10m?

The power needed to push the rock can be calculated using the formula: power = work / time. In this scenario, since the work required is 490 Joules and the time taken is 1 second, the power needed would be 490 Watts.

5. How does the weight of the rock affect the work and force needed to push it?

The weight of the rock directly affects both the work and force needed to push it. The greater the weight of the rock, the more work and force is needed to overcome its weight and push it a given distance.