Rocket Height Problem: Find y_max w/ 9.8m/s^2

In summary, the rocket accelerates upward from rest with a constant acceleration of 58.8 m/s^2 for 10.0 seconds until the fuel is exhausted. After that, it is in free fall. The maximum height reached by the rocket can be found using the equation final height = initial height + vt + 1/2at^2, where a = 58.8 m/s^2 and t = 10.0 s. By plugging in the values, we get a maximum height of 490 m. The problem also states that we can ignore air resistance and use the constant acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s^2. However, the net acceleration of the
DefaultName
A rocket, initially at rest on the ground, accelerates straight upward from rest with constant acceleration 58.8 m/s^2. The acceleration period lasts for time 10.0 s until the fuel is exhausted. After that, the rocket is in free fall.

Find the maximum height y_max reached by the rocket. Ignore air resistance and assume a constant acceleration due to gravity equal to 9.8 m/s^2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I tackled this problem was I used the equation:

final position = intial position + vt + 1/2(a)(t^2)

I got an answer of 490m, but that doesn't seem to be correct. I'm not sure if I have to use the acceleration given to me in the equation (58.8m/s^2) or the default acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m/s^2.

This answer (490 m) shows how far the rocket would fall in time t_1 starting from zero velocity. I'm not sure if there's an intial velocity (the problem doesn't state it), but if there is, I'd probably use vf^2 = vi^2 + 2as.

Please help, I think I'm doing something wrong here, the answer "490 m" doesn't seem correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
read the question
accelerates straight upward from rest

there is your initial velocity

what is the NET acceleration on the rocket? It accelerates upward with 58.8 and gravity pulls it downward at 9.8. What is the NET acceleration as a result?

you are thus given intial velocity, time, net acceleration, can you find the distance (max height) reached.

Hmm..

I tried doing it with my acceleration as 49m/s^2, but my online system is saying no... it specifically says

"Read the problem carefully; a = 58.8 m/s^2 is the net acceleration of the rocket."

How does that work?

I'm using the equation final height = intial height + vt + 1/2at^2
where I need to find final height = 0 + 0 + 1/2 (??) (100)

Last edited:

What is the "Rocket Height Problem"?

The Rocket Height Problem is a hypothetical scenario where a rocket is launched into the air with a constant acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 due to gravity. The goal is to calculate the maximum height (y_max) that the rocket will reach before falling back down to the ground.

Why is the acceleration due to gravity set at 9.8m/s^2?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value that is used in physics to represent the force of gravity on an object near the Earth's surface. This value is approximately 9.8m/s^2, which means that for every second an object is falling, its speed will increase by 9.8 meters per second.

What formula is used to solve the Rocket Height Problem?

The formula used to solve the Rocket Height Problem is y_max = v_i^2 / (2 * g), where y_max represents the maximum height, v_i is the initial velocity of the rocket, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you find the initial velocity (v_i) of the rocket?

The initial velocity of the rocket can be found by using the formula v_i = v_f - g * t, where v_f is the final velocity (which is usually 0 for objects falling to the ground) and t is the time the rocket is in the air. This formula can be rearranged to solve for v_i.

What are some real-world applications of the Rocket Height Problem?

The Rocket Height Problem has many practical applications, such as calculating the maximum height of a rocket launch, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and understanding the motion of objects in freefall. It is also an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps us understand the effects of gravity on objects in motion.