Solving a Rocket Motion Problem

Your method of using the Pythagorean theorem and the formula vf = vi + at was correct. Keep up the good work!
drew1989
Ok here's a question i had for homework, but i am having some trouble with it:

a rocket is fired from rest with an acceleration at=22.8m/s at an elevation angle of theta=62.4. the rocket travels in a straightline for 8.95 seconds, when the fuel runs out. at this time it becomes a projectile and falls back to the ground. fill in the tables

they ask for:

straightline

total horizontal verticle

vi vi vi
vf vf vf
d d d
a a a
t t t

and they ask for

projectile

up down horizontal

my answers were

total horizontal verticle

vi 0 vi 0 vi 0
v 204.06 vf 159.18 vf 147.18
d 913.17 d 809.25 d 423.07
a 22.8 a 20.2 a 10.6
t 8.95 t 7.9 t 4.2

i got these answers by using the pythagorean theorem and using the vf=vi+at formula. if these are right could you tell me, if not tell me what i was doing wrong. after i get to projectile it is easy but i think i made a mistake. would the time be the same for all?

Physics news on Phys.org
projectileup down horizontalvi 204.06 vi 147.18 vi 159.18vf 0 vf 0 vf 0d 423.07 d 913.17 d 809.25a -10.6 a -20.2 a 0t 4.2 t 7.9 t 7.9Yes, your answers for both tables are correct. The time for each motion would be the same because the rocket travels in a straight line for 8.95 seconds until it runs out of fuel and becomes a projectile.

Your calculations seem to be correct based on the given information. The time for the projectile motion would be the same for both up and down motion since it is only affected by the initial velocity and acceleration, which are the same for both directions. However, the initial velocity for the down motion would be the final velocity from the straightline motion, so it would be 147.18 m/s. Also, for the horizontal motion, the initial velocity would be 204.06 m/s since there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction. Overall, your calculations seem to be correct and you can verify them by using the equations of motion for projectile motion.

What is rocket motion?

Rocket motion refers to the movement of a rocket through space or through the Earth's atmosphere. It involves understanding the forces that act on the rocket and the resulting motion of the rocket.

What are the main forces involved in rocket motion?

The main forces involved in rocket motion are thrust, weight, and aerodynamic drag. Thrust is the force generated by the rocket's engines that propels it forward. Weight is the force of gravity acting on the rocket. Aerodynamic drag is the resistance caused by the air as the rocket moves through it.

How do you calculate the motion of a rocket?

To calculate the motion of a rocket, you need to use the principles of Newton's laws of motion. This involves considering all the forces acting on the rocket and using equations such as F=ma (force equals mass times acceleration) to determine the rocket's acceleration and velocity at different points in its flight.

What is the difference between vertical and horizontal rocket motion?

Vertical rocket motion refers to the movement of the rocket in the up and down direction, while horizontal rocket motion refers to the movement of the rocket in the forward and backward direction. Vertical motion is affected by gravity, while horizontal motion is affected by thrust and aerodynamic drag.

What are some common challenges in solving a rocket motion problem?

Some common challenges in solving a rocket motion problem include accurately measuring and accounting for all the forces involved, taking into account changing mass and thrust as fuel is burned, and considering the effects of air resistance at different altitudes. It is also important to use appropriate units and follow the correct mathematical steps to arrive at the correct solution.