Rocket's Max Altitude & Time in Air

In summary, a weather rocket with a mass of 200kg and 100kg of fuel is fired straight up and accelerates at 35m/s^2 for 32 seconds before running out of fuel. The maximum altitude reached by the rocket can be calculated by finding the velocity at the end of the acceleration period and using the equation Vf^2=Vi^2-2as. The time the rocket is in the air can be found by solving for t in the equation Vf=Vi+at. To account for gravity, the velocity and time during the descent can be determined by breaking the problem into smaller intervals and solving for each piece individually before putting them back together.
Mirole

Homework Statement

A 200kg weather rocket is loaded with 100kg of fuel and fired straight up. It accelerates upward at 35m/s^2 for 32 s, then runs out of fuel. Ignore any air resistance effects.

What is the rocket's maximum altitude?
How long is the rocket in the air?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2-2as
Vf=Vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf=0+(35)(32)
Vf=1120m/s

1120=0+2(35)s
1234400=70s
s=133.865m

I think I'm supposed to add the weight in, but I'm not sure on how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to use the fact that it "accelerates upward at 35m/s^2 for 32 s, then runs out of fuel".

D H said:
I think you are supposed to use the fact that it "accelerates upward at 35m/s^2 for 32 s, then runs out of fuel".

The problem is I'm not sure if I got the velocity for the first part right, I know you would include gravity during the part after the fuel runs out and it would be decreasing until it hit the turning point and started falling.

Do try to get your algebra straight at least (you have some serious goofs in the original post).

Here's a clue on how to solve problems like these; this approach applies to many, many other problems in science. Break the problem down into smaller, more manageable pieces, solve each piece, and at the end put the pieces back together.

What are the pieces in this problem?
  1. The rocket accelerates upwards at 35m/s^2 for 32 seconds.
  2. The rocket continues going up, but slows down because of gravity. Eventually its upward velocity slows to zero ...
  3. at which point it falls earthward and eventually hits the earth.

See if you can determine the height, velocity, and time at the end of these intervals.

1. What factors affect the maximum altitude and time in air of a rocket?

The maximum altitude and time in air of a rocket are primarily affected by the rocket's design, engine power, and weight. Other factors that can influence these parameters include air density, wind speed, and launch angle.

2. How can we calculate the maximum altitude and time in air of a rocket?

The maximum altitude and time in air of a rocket can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the rocket's thrust, drag, and weight, as well as environmental factors such as air density and wind speed. These calculations can also be simulated using computer programs.

3. What is the typical maximum altitude and time in air for a rocket?

The maximum altitude and time in air of a rocket can vary greatly depending on its design and purpose. For example, a small model rocket may only reach a few hundred feet and stay in the air for a few seconds, while a large commercial rocket can reach heights of over 300 miles and stay in the air for several minutes.

4. How can we increase the maximum altitude and time in air of a rocket?

To increase the maximum altitude and time in air of a rocket, engineers can make modifications to the rocket's design to reduce drag and increase thrust. They can also use more powerful engines and lighter materials to decrease the rocket's weight. Launching the rocket at a higher angle can also help it reach higher altitudes.

5. What are the safety considerations for achieving maximum altitude and time in air for a rocket?

Achieving maximum altitude and time in air for a rocket can be a dangerous endeavor, and safety should always be the top priority. Engineers must carefully consider the structural integrity of the rocket and ensure that all components are functioning properly. They must also take into account any potential hazards in the launch and flight paths, and take necessary precautions to protect people and property in those areas.