Role of Neutrinos: What Are They and What Do They Do?

• Thread starter RobinSky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrinos
In summary: We have very strong reasons to think that the mass of the neutrino is not zero.We know supernova emit large amounts of neutrinos because we saw them in 1987. To give you an idea of how murky they are, the 1987 event involved the detection of about a dozen neutrinos within a few seconds. Among other things, neutrinos make supernova go boom. When supernova collapse, it releases a huge amount of neutrinos and somehow enough of them get trapped to create an explosion.Among other things, neutrinos make supernova go boom. When supernova collapse, it releases a huge amount of neutrinos and somehow enough of them get trapped to create an explosion.
RobinSky
Hi

I'm just curious, what role does neutrinos play in the universe? I mean protons an electrons and neutrons make up the atom, quarks make up protons and such.

But neutrinos? Barely heard anything except that they are barely interacting with anything, and that they are a "waste product" from nuclear processes?

Best Regards
Robin A

Astronomy news on Phys.org
RobinSky said:
I'm just curious, what role does neutrinos play in the universe? I mean protons an electrons and neutrons make up the atom, quarks make up protons and such.

Among other things, neutrinos make supernova go boom. When supernova collapse, it releases a huge amount of neutrinos and somehow enough of them get trapped to create an explosion.

twofish-quant said:
Among other things, neutrinos make supernova go boom. When supernova collapse, it releases a huge amount of neutrinos and somehow enough of them get trapped to create an explosion.

At least, so is believed. No one has yet to succeed in getting the math to work.

Neutrinos are emitted with liquids form Cooper pairs and go superfluid, I think. But I'm sure that it always happens that way.

They seem to have almost no mass at all. Somehow it was calculated that even though there are a great many of them, their mass is insignificant.

Neutrinos are so weakly interactive with almost everything, it was long thought they were massless. Only recently has opinion changed on that count. A neutrino has about a 50% chance of penetrating a lead shield extending from here to alpha centauri. This gives us a basis for comparison with whatever constitutes a dark matter particle.

ImaLooser said:
At least, so is believed. No one has yet to succeed in getting the math to work.

I know, I tried :-) :-)

We know supernova emit large amounts of neutrinos because we saw them in 1987. To give you an idea of how murky they are, the 1987 event involved the detection of about a dozen neutrinos within a few seconds.

They seem to have almost no mass at all. Somehow it was calculated that even though there are a great many of them, their mass is insignificant.

It depends on the what their mass was. One calculation that I've seen for the upper limit of the neutrino mass you take the amount of matter necessary to close the universe divide it by the number of expected neutrinos, and this gives you a lower limit.

We have very strong reasons to think that the mass of the neutrino is not zero.

twofish-quant said:
We know supernova emit large amounts of neutrinos because we saw them in 1987. To give you an idea of how murky they are, the 1987 event involved the detection of about a dozen neutrinos within a few seconds.

Wow that's cool! Didn't know about the relation between supernovae and neutrinos at all actually.

RobinSky said:
Wow that's cool! Didn't know about the relation between supernovae and neutrinos at all actually.

Yup. One "oops" moment. There were two detectors on planet Earth at the time. One in Japan and one under Lake Erie. If we had precision times as to when the neutrinos hit the detectors, then we'd be able to tell if they were traveling at the speed of light or at slightly less than the speed of light and then figure all sorts of things about the neutrinos.

One of the experiments had a timestamps generated by an ultraprecise atomic clock so we know exactly when the neutrino pulse hit that detector. The other one had a clock in which someone just typed in a time when the PC got booted. Unfortunately someone turned off the PC before they could sync the timestamps. Ironically, it was the detector in Japan that had the inaccurate clock.

Looking at the http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v58/i14/p1490_1 :
A neutrino burst was observed in the Kamiokande II detector on 23 February, 7:35:35 UT (±1 min) during a time interval of 13 sec
and the http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v58/i14/p1494_1 :
The events span an interval of six seconds and have visible energies in the range 20–40 MeV.
How do you compare neutrino timings with sub-second precision if the neutrino burst lasts ~10 seconds with about 1 detected event per second?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electric charge and very little mass. They are one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe.

2. What is the role of neutrinos?

The role of neutrinos is to interact with other particles through the weak nuclear force. They are also important in many astrophysical processes, such as nuclear fusion in stars.

3. How do neutrinos differ from other subatomic particles?

Neutrinos differ from other subatomic particles in several ways. They have very little mass, no electric charge, and they interact extremely weakly with other particles.

4. How are neutrinos detected and studied?

Neutrinos are detected using large, underground detectors that can capture the tiny interactions between neutrinos and other particles. Scientists also study neutrinos by observing their effects on other particles, such as in nuclear reactions.

5. What is the significance of studying neutrinos?

Studying neutrinos is important because they can provide valuable information about the early universe, the workings of nuclear reactions, and the nature of matter itself. They also have practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medical imaging.