Roller coaster at bottom of dip weight increases 50%?

In summary, the question is asking about the speed at the bottom of a roller coaster dip where the weight is increased by 50%. The formula for uniform circular motion is used to calculate the speed, but the weight and normal force are unknown. After some discussion, it is determined that the normal force must be greater than the weight in order to keep the car on the track, resulting in a force pointing towards the center of the circle.
BC2210

Homework Statement

A roller coasters weight increases 50% through the center of a dip in the track. The radius of the dip is 30m. What is the speed at the bottom?

Homework Equations

This is a uniform circular motion problem correct? But how do I calculate if I don't know the weight?

v = [tex]\omega[/tex]r
Fnet = mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So is weight twice that of the normal force? Or the normal force has to balance it out by increasing by 50% as well?

Or should I be thinking in terms of [tex]\omega[/tex] instead of forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track ;-)
At the bottom of the curve their weight due to gravity is 'mg'
You are simply looking for the centrifugal force that equals half this.

Then the total force downward is 1.5mg

So right now I have F = N - (1.5mg) ...

which is the only forces acting on the car...

but I thought the force has to point to the middle of the circle?

N - W = (mv2)/r

but in the book it says the normal force is greater than the weight, resulting in a force pointing towards the center...

The normal force acting on the car must equal the force of the car on the track.
At the bottom of the curve there is weight acting down and centrifugal acting outward - which = down at the bottom of the curve.

1. How does the weight increase affect the speed of the roller coaster at the bottom of the dip?

The weight increase will cause the roller coaster to slow down at the bottom of the dip. This is due to the increased force of gravity pulling the heavier car downward.

2. Will the weight increase make the ride more intense or less intense?

The weight increase will make the ride more intense. As the car moves through the dip, the increased weight will cause it to experience stronger forces of acceleration and deceleration, making the ride more thrilling.

3. Why does the weight increase only affect the roller coaster at the bottom of the dip?

The weight increase only affects the roller coaster at the bottom of the dip because this is where the gravitational force is strongest. As the car reaches the bottom of the dip, it is pulled downward with more force due to the increased weight.

4. How does the weight increase impact the overall safety of the roller coaster?

The weight increase does not necessarily impact the safety of the roller coaster. Roller coasters are designed and tested to safely handle a range of weights and forces. However, it is important for operators to properly load and balance the cars to ensure a safe and smooth ride for all passengers.

5. Will the weight increase affect the duration of the ride?

The weight increase will not significantly affect the duration of the ride. The increased weight may cause the roller coaster to slow down slightly at the bottom of the dip, but it will not have a major impact on the overall duration of the ride.