Solving x^7-x+17=0: Can I Make My Own Interval?

• Thread starter mateomy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the problem asks for the largest number of real roots that the equation x^7-x+17=0 can have. The answer is 3, based on the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra and Descartes' Rule of Signs. The derivative of the equation, f'(x)=7x^6-1, can only have a maximum of 2 sign changes, indicating a maximum of 2 axis crossings. However, considering the function itself, there are 3 regions of different signs, allowing for a maximum of 3 real roots.
mateomy
If I am given a problem that asks of me:

What is the largest number of real roots that [itex]x^7-x+17=0[/itex] can have? Be sure to show why your answer is correct.

But it doesn't give an interval to work with, can I just make up my own interval, say [0,3]? Because I know this is continuous and differentiable everywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
i would guess you should consider the whole real line

Okay, so how could I show that numerically? Would I just have to show that it is differentiable and continuous by doing the derivation? And as far as maximum zeros, would it just be (Aaaahhhhh, I can't remember the theorem's name...) Descartes(?) theory on polynomial roots, which is just one integer less the highest exponent, so 6 possible real roots?

how about considering the derivative... in an interval where the derivative is always one sign, there can only be at most one axis crossing...

So then...

[tex]
f'(x)7x^6-1
[/tex]

would mean that it can only cross the x-axis once because there is only 'one' sign. Would that be right?

mateomy said:
Okay, so how could I show that numerically? Would I just have to show that it is differentiable and continuous by doing the derivation? And as far as maximum zeros, would it just be (Aaaahhhhh, I can't remember the theorem's name...) Descartes(?) theory on polynomial roots, which is just one integer less the highest exponent, so 6 possible real roots?

have a look at this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_algebra
so if you include the multiplicity, every polynomial of order n, has n roots in complex space.

so by that reasoning you could have up to 7 roots.

However we require them to be real & distinct, so based on the location of turning points of the function, it should be easy to read off how many axis crossing there are...

I see. So is my previous post accurate then? (sorry if this is annoying, just straightening out my knowledge).

mateomy said:
So then...

[tex]
f'(x)=7x^6-1
[/tex]

would mean that it can only cross the x-axis once because there is only 'one' sign. Would that be right?
nope, i see three regions of different signs...

finding the turning points should be pretty instructive

So you're taking the sign changes off of the initial function not its derivative then. Thats the only place I see three sign changes. As opposed to the two in the derivative.

you can consider both, but mainly the function itself - for the function to cross the axis it must change from +ve to -ve, however between the critical points you know the function is acting monotonically

now for the derivative, there will be 2 turning points, so 2 sign changes, and 3 regions of different sign

Okay, you couldn't possibly have made it clearer. And stated that way, I can picture it graphically in my head. Thanks for putting up with my questions...off to more studying.

By the way, DesCarte's "rule of signs",which predates Calculus, and so Rolle's theorem, says that the number of positive roots of a polynomial equation is at most equal to the number of sign changes of the coefficients as you go down from the highest to the lowest power. [itex]x^7- x+ 17= 0[/itex] has two sign changes (+1 to -1 to +17) and so has at most 2 positive roots. If we change -x for x we get [itex]-x^7+ x+ 17= 0[/itex] which has only one sign change and so at most one positive root. But a positive root of [itex]-x^7+ x+ 17= 0[/itex] is a negative root of [itex]x^7- x+ 17= 0[/itex] so that equation has at most 3 real roots.

1. Can I use any interval to solve x^7-x+17=0?

Yes, you can use any interval as long as it contains a root of the equation. However, some intervals may be more efficient for solving the equation than others.

2. How do I choose the best interval to solve x^7-x+17=0?

To choose the best interval, you can use a graphing calculator or a graphing software to visualize the function and determine which interval(s) contain a root. You can also use the Intermediate Value Theorem to narrow down the possible intervals.

3. Can I make my own interval if I know the root of the equation?

Yes, you can make your own interval if you know the root of the equation. However, it is recommended to use a smaller interval to reduce the chances of making a calculation error.

4. How many iterations do I need to solve x^7-x+17=0 using my own interval?

The number of iterations needed to solve the equation using your own interval may vary depending on the size of the interval and the method you are using. Generally, the more accurate you want the solution to be, the more iterations you will need.

5. Is there a specific method to solve x^7-x+17=0 using my own interval?

There are several methods that can be used to solve the equation using your own interval, such as the bisection method, the Newton's method, or the secant method. It is recommended to try different methods and see which one works best for your specific interval and equation.