Rolling without slipping and a string

In summary, the correct solution for calculating the acceleration of the cylinder CM is 0.0267 m/s^2. This can be determined by calculating the torques about the instantaneous axis of rotation, rather than the center of mass, and using the equation ac = (R*F - r*F)/I. It is also important to note that the resultant force on the cylinder is F-Fs, not 0, and this is taken into account when calculating the torques.
trulyfalse
Hello PF!

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped around the small cylinder as shown. You pull with a force F (and the cylinder does not slide). Calculate the acceleration of the cylinder CM (including direction). Here r = 3 cm,
R = 5 cm, F = 0.1 N, and m = 1kg. [Make sure to define one direction of rotation (CW or CCW) as positive, just like you define one direction of X as positive. If you use a relationship like v=R
or a=R you need to make sure that your definitions are consistent]

Correct solution: 0.0267 m/s^2

Homework Equations

Sum of the torques = Iα
Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder = 1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let counter clockwise torques be positive for the purposes of this solution.

I started by calculating the torques about point C, where C is the center of mass of the cylinder. Since the cylinder is rolling without slipping, the force due to static friction on the cylinder must be equal and opposite in magnitude to the applied force, F.

Ʃt = R*Fs - r*F
ƩF = Fs - F = 0
Iα = R*F - r*F
ac/R = (R*F - r*F)/I
ac = 2(R*F-r*F)/(MR)
ac = 0.08 m/s^2

Is it wrong to equate Fs to F in this case? Or is there another factor that I'm not considering?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
trulyfalse said:
Hello PF!

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped around the small cylinder as shown. You pull with a force F (and the cylinder does not slide). Calculate the acceleration of the cylinder CM (including direction). Here r = 3 cm,
R = 5 cm, F = 0.1 N, and m = 1kg. [Make sure to define one direction of rotation (CW or CCW) as positive, just like you define one direction of X as positive. If you use a relationship like v=R
or a=R you need to make sure that your definitions are consistent]

Correct solution: 0.0267 m/s^2

Homework Equations

Sum of the torques = Iα
Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder = 1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let counter clockwise torques be positive for the purposes of this solution.

I started by calculating the torques about point C, where C is the center of mass of the cylinder. Since the cylinder is rolling without slipping, the force due to static friction on the cylinder must be equal and opposite in magnitude to the applied force, F.

Ʃt = R*Fs - r*F
ƩF = Fs - F = 0
Iα = R*F - r*F
ac/R = (R*F - r*F)/I
ac = 2(R*F-r*F)/(MR)
ac = 0.08 m/s^2

Is it wrong to equate Fs to F in this case? Or is there another factor that I'm not considering?

The cylinder is accelerating and you need to find the acceleration of its CM. The acceleration of the CM is equl to the resultant force over the mass. The resultant force is F-Fs, why should it be zero?

ehild

Likes 1 person
Oh jeez, it seems I made quite an egregious error. I initially assumed that the sum of the forces would be equal to zero on the object since static friction is involved, but after reading your comment and thinking about it further I realized that's only because the velocity of the instantaneous axis is equal to 0. Thanks ehild. I'll calculate the torques about that axis instead and see if I get the correct answer.

1. What is the difference between rolling without slipping and rolling with slipping?

Rolling without slipping is when a wheel or object is in motion without any slippage between its surface and the surface it is rolling on. This means that the point of contact remains stationary while the rest of the object moves forward. On the other hand, rolling with slipping is when there is slippage between the surfaces, causing the point of contact to move as well.

2. How does a string affect the rolling motion of an object?

A string can act as a constraint or a force on an object that is rolling. If the string is attached to the object and pulled, it can change the direction or speed of the rolling motion. If the string is wrapped around the object and pulled, it can create a torque that causes the object to rotate.

3. Can an object roll without slipping if there is no friction?

No, rolling without slipping requires a certain amount of friction between the surfaces in contact. Without friction, there would be no force to prevent the object from slipping and the rolling motion would not be possible.

4. How is the velocity of a rolling object related to the angular velocity?

The velocity of a rolling object is directly proportional to its angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity of the object also increases. The relationship between the two is given by v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the object.

5. Does the radius of the object affect its rolling motion?

Yes, the radius of an object can affect its rolling motion. A larger radius means that the object will have a larger circumference, resulting in a longer distance traveled with each rotation. This also means that the linear velocity will increase, given a constant angular velocity. Additionally, the moment of inertia of the object will also be affected by its radius, which can impact its rotational motion.