Roommate and I have been having salsa wars

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
In summary, my roommate and I have been having "salsa wars". Check out the peppers that went into my last creation :!) In summary, my roommate and I have been having a salsa battle. I used an assortment of roasted habaneros, jalapenos, and a poblano pepper, lots of garlic, plum tomatoes because they're meatier, onion, cilantro, a little vinegar and lime juice, and some raspberries, just for a twist. My roommate used Guacamole > Salsa, but I think with some modifications, I can make it more hot.
FrogPad
roommate and I have been having "salsa wars"

My roommate and I have been having "salsa wars". Check out the peppers that went into my last creation :!)

235529028_3929bc720b.jpg
and some yummy tomatoes
235529095_de525ec0c5.jpg

Attachments

• 235529028_3929bc720b.jpg
    235529028_3929bc720b.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 304
Physics news on Phys.org
I've started making a salsa: red onion, mango and lime. And that's it.

Guacamole > salsa. That is all.

- Warren

chroot said:

- Warren

Agreed. :approve:

turbo's posts in the Food Thread inspired me to make a salsa over the weekend. I used an assortment of roasted habaneros, jalapenos, and a poblano pepper, lots of garlic, plum tomatoes because they're meatier, onion, cilantro, a little vinegar and lime juice, and some raspberries, just for a twist. I thought with all those peppers, it would be deadly, but I wound up disappointed at it being so tame. I guess that's because I roasted them all. It has a nice flavor, but not hot. I froze a lot of it, and will probably play around with modifying the frozen portions as I take each out to eat to see what I can do to improve upon what I have.

You guys need to check out the recipe I posted for Ninfa's green sauce, it's guacamole with a yummy twist.

FrogPad, have you been following the last few pages of posts in the "The food thread"? It should be re-titled "The HOT foods thread".

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124615

chroot said:

- Warren
Definitely, whenever I can get ripe avocados. I really wanted guacamole this weekend instead of salsa, but all the avocados in the store were bright green! :yuck: Why even bother, since they just rot before they ripen when they are that green in the store. :frown:

Moonbear said:
Definitely, whenever I can get ripe avocados. I really wanted guacamole this weekend instead of salsa, but all the avocados in the store were bright green! :yuck: Why even bother, since they just rot before they ripen when they are that green in the store. :frown:
I hate that. Out here in the midwest, you have to plan days ahead of time because you have to wait for them to ripen, then hope they aren't bruised and all yucky and brown inside. :frown:

Out here in California, avocados are about 80 cents apiece, and they're puuurrrrfect. :!)

- Warren

chroot said:
Out here in California, avocados are about 80 cents apiece, and they're puuurrrrfect. :!)

- Warren
:cry: I hate you. :cry:

Well, here in the midwest we have...dust and tumbleweeds. :cry: No wonder cost of living is low here.

Moonbear said:
I thought with all those peppers, it would be deadly, but I wound up disappointed at it being so tame. I guess that's because I roasted them all. It has a nice flavor, but not hot.

No need for hot peppers. Make the salsa to taste and then add this stuff.

... After racking my brain on how I could try this stuff without seriously injurying myself, I decided to mix one crystal into tomato soup. I took a can of standard condensed tomato soup, mixed with one can of water and brought it to a boil. The capsaicin crystal will not mix like any of the other Blair’s A.M. line, which makes perfect sense, since it’s a dry crystal and not an oil based extract. So the only way to liquify this stuff is to heat it up. So using tweezers and gloves, I picked up the tiny crystal...
http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/blairs-16-million-product-review/

You're trained to handle hazards in the lab. Go for it! :biggrin:

Damn this thread, now I am going to try and see if 7-11 has avocado dip...because I want some NOW! :grumpy:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Damn this thread, now I am going to try and see if 7-11 has avocado dip...because I want some NOW! :grumpy:
NOOOO, not avocado dip, there's nothing natural in that stuff! Do you have a Walmart with a food store? They actually have decent premade guacamole in the deli section.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA I GOT SOME! I went to safeway. It says 'all natural' :devil:

Now for some Charlie Rose and Avocado+chips...bubye!

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
MUAHAHAHAHAHA I GOT SOME! I went to safeway. It says 'all natural' :devil:
Yeah, but does it actually have avocado in it?

:cry: I'm so jealous of Chroot! Here, avocados can cost as much as $1.99 EACH, and they're green or bruised or shriveled up and no good (I've even gotten ones that looked the right color, but were the texture of styrofoam inside :yuck:). :cry:

I'll debate the Guacamole > Salsa relationship.
Can you say Apples > Oranges?

I will most certianly go for

Guacamole <> Salsa, How ever

I want both! With some good chips

Integral said:
I'll debate the Guacamole > Salsa relationship.

I'm afraid that this relationship is derived immediately from the axioms of my snack system, and thus cannot be debated. It simply is so.

- Warren.

Moonbear said:
turbo's posts in the Food Thread inspired me to make a salsa over the weekend. I used an assortment of roasted habaneros, jalapenos, and a poblano pepper, lots of garlic, plum tomatoes because they're meatier, onion, cilantro, a little vinegar and lime juice, and some raspberries, just for a twist. I thought with all those peppers, it would be deadly, but I wound up disappointed at it being so tame. I guess that's because I roasted them all. It has a nice flavor, but not hot. I froze a lot of it, and will probably play around with modifying the frozen portions as I take each out to eat to see what I can do to improve upon what I have.
I love the idea of raspberries, it sounds fantastic. I'm definitely going to try it in my next go around. All those peppers (and onion wrapped in the tinfoil) were placed under the broiler. After I blackened the outter shell, I removed it and tossed them into a blender with some other ingredients, with the seeds. Did you keep the seeds? This stuff was hot, but not too hot.

chroot said:

- Warren
They are two different beasts. I like having some hot salsa around to put on eggs, and other assorted foods. I don't think guacamole would be good on eggs. I'll agree with you though. Guacamole is hard to beat as a chip dip.

DaveC426913 said:
I've started making a salsa: red onion, mango and lime. And that's it.
That sounds interesting. What type of chips do you use?

Evo said:
You guys need to check out the recipe I posted for Ninfa's green sauce, it's guacamole with a yummy twist.

FrogPad, have you been following the last few pages of posts in the "The food thread"? It should be re-titled "The HOT foods thread".

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124615
Nope. I'll check it out tomorrow for sure. Good looking out :smile:

Moonbear said:
You put them in a paper bag on the counter right?

Ivan Seeking said:
No need for hot peppers. Make the salsa to taste and then add this stuff.

http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/blairs-16-million-product-review/

You're trained to handle hazards in the lab. Go for it! :biggrin:
I'm bookmarking that, and when I get some cash I'm going to pick some up. I love this part,

"It’s important to note that the heat will not distribute throughout the soup right away, you need to continue to heat it up, preferably while stirring with a disposable spoon."

...disposable spoon :)

Actually after reading more about that crystal, I think I'm going to pass. Looks a little too hardcore for me :redface:

Haha frogpad ... I especially enjoy this part:

"Please note that this is one of the only foods available on the market that is weaponized for military use." :rofl:

FrogPad said:
I love the idea of raspberries, it sounds fantastic. I'm definitely going to try it in my next go around. All those peppers (and onion wrapped in the tinfoil) were placed under the broiler. After I blackened the outter shell, I removed it and tossed them into a blender with some other ingredients, with the seeds. Did you keep the seeds? This stuff was hot, but not too hot.
Ooh! Don't remove the blackened skins! Process them - the roasted flavor is in the skins. We blackened our peppers, onions, and tomatoes by placing them on a wire rack directly over the burner of our propane camp stove. This blackened them very quickly and reduced the amount of actual cooking, so the jalapenos stayed nice and potent. Also, we left the seeds in for that batch. I've still got a few servings of that salsa left, and I'm going to experiement with adding blackberries and chopped apple to individual servings.

For Moonbear

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6899/sheepdipgt6.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: :rofl: Oh, that's hilarious! :biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'll have to see if I can get that to print clearly enough to put up in my office!

1. What is a "salsa war" between roommates?

A "salsa war" between roommates is a playful competition in which both roommates try to outdo each other by making and/or buying different types of salsa and trying to see who can create the best flavor or recipe.

2. How do you determine the winner of a salsa war?

The winner of a salsa war can be determined by a taste test where both roommates and/or other friends or family members try the different salsas and vote on their favorite. Another way to determine the winner could be by creating a scoring system based on certain criteria such as taste, creativity, and presentation.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for a salsa war?

There are no set rules or guidelines for a salsa war, as it is meant to be a fun and creative competition between roommates. However, it is important to make sure that both roommates are comfortable with the competition and that it does not become too competitive or cause any tension or conflicts.

4. Can a salsa war be a good bonding activity for roommates?

Yes, a salsa war can be a great bonding activity for roommates as it allows for creativity, teamwork, and friendly competition. It can also be a fun way to try new recipes and spend time together in a lighthearted and enjoyable manner.

5. Is there a scientific reason for why roommates enjoy having salsa wars?

While there is no scientific evidence specifically related to salsa wars, it is possible that the enjoyment of this activity could be attributed to the release of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward, and engaging in fun and competitive activities can trigger its release. Additionally, the sense of camaraderie and bonding that can come from participating in a shared activity with a roommate may also contribute to the enjoyment of a salsa war.