Root Mean Square Speed Units Question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Vrms and molar mass of a gas at a given temperature and pressure. The solution involves converting units to SI units and using the ideal gas law equation to solve for the molar mass. The article linked provides values of R in different unit combinations for future reference.
spockjones20

Homework Statement

"At 273 K and 1.00x10^-2 atm, the density of a gas is 1.24x10^-5 g/cm^3.

A.) Find the Vrms for the gas molecules
B.) Find the molar mass and identify the gas (Choose from H2, He, H20, N2, O2, or CO2)"

Homework Equations

Vrms = √(3RT/Mm)
pV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

n = mass/Mm
pV = mass/Mm *RT
Mm = mass*RT/(pV)
Mm = ρRT/p

Vrms = √(3RT/(ρRT/p)) = √(3p/ρ)

So I have the solution up until this point, the main thing I am worried about is the units of my answer. I have pressure in atm, which is some form of Force/Area. I have density in g/cm^3. So pressure/density will be some form of (distance/time)^2, which of course is taken care of with the radical. The only thing I can not come up with is what exact units it will be in. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Likes Htet Htet Bo
Physics news on Phys.org
A rule of thumb is that if you use SI units for every term in an expression, you can expect the answer to be in SI units. You can do a dimensional analysis to verify this as well. Converting atm to Pascals and g/cm^3 to Kg/m^3, should give you m/s for Vrms.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks a lot!

Since ideal gas calculations can sometimes involve a mixture of different units, the following article gives values of R in several different unit combinations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_constant

The units for Vrms will be in units of velocity, specifically cm/s. This is because the units of pressure are in force per area (N/m^2 or kg/(m*s^2)), and the units of density are in mass per volume (g/cm^3 or kg/m^3). When we take the square root, the units will simplify to m/s or cm/s. Therefore, for the given conditions, the Vrms of the gas molecules would be in units of cm/s.

To find the molar mass and identify the gas, we can use the ideal gas law, pV = nRT, where p is pressure, V is volume, n is moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. Rearranging this equation, we get n = (pV)/(RT). We already have the values for p, V, and T, so we can plug those in and solve for n. Then, using the given density, we can calculate the mass of the gas using the formula m = ρV. Finally, we can divide the mass by the number of moles to get the molar mass, which will allow us to identify the gas.

1. What is the definition of root mean square speed?

The root mean square speed is the measure of the average speed of particles in a gas. It is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared speeds of all the particles in the gas.

2. What are the units for root mean square speed?

The units for root mean square speed are typically in meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).

3. How is root mean square speed related to temperature?

The root mean square speed of gas particles is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature of the gas, according to the kinetic theory of gases.

4. Can root mean square speed be used to find the velocity of individual particles?

No, root mean square speed is a measure of the average speed of all the particles in a gas. It cannot be used to determine the velocity of individual particles.

5. How is root mean square speed different from average speed?

Root mean square speed takes into account the magnitude of the velocity of each particle, while average speed only considers the overall speed of the particles. This means that root mean square speed is a more accurate measure of the overall speed of gas particles.