Root vs. ratio in determining radius of convergence of a power series

In summary, when determining the radius of convergence of a power series, the ratio and root tests can be used interchangeably. However, the choice of which test to use may depend on the form of the given series. It is also important to note that the radius of convergence only determines convergence for values of x within the radius, and must be checked separately for values of x on the boundary.
brush
Hi everyone :smile:

When determining the radius of convergence of a power series, when should I use the ratio (a[sub n+1] / a[sub n]) test versus the root (|a[sub n]|^(1/n)) test?

I know that I'm supposed to use the ratio only when there are factorials, but other than that, are these tests basically interchangeable?

Also, are there any differences in usage/application of the tests in the context of determining the radius of convergence of a power series?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, for instance, how do I determine the radius of convergence of:

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\left(\frac{x^{n}}{n^{2}+1}\right)[/tex]

Thanks again :smile:

Last edited:
Hi brush!

Both the ratio and the root test "work" in all cases (they are proven theorems), but which one is easier to use depends on the concrete form of the a_n. The ratio test is probably used more often then the root test.

In your particular example, try the ratio test. :wink:

Thank you for the reply, yyat! :smile:

The confusion I was having was because I kept getting different results from the ratio and root test, but I have figured out what I was doing wrong.

In the case above, both the root and ratio tests should yield (I think):

[tex]\left|x\right| = 1[/tex]

Yes, the radius of convergence is 1, that means the series converges for |x|<1. Note though that this tells you nothing about convergence at points with |x|=1, that needs to be checked separately.

What is the difference between root and ratio in determining the radius of convergence of a power series?

The root test and ratio test are two methods used to determine the radius of convergence of a power series. The root test uses the nth root of the absolute value of the coefficients in the power series, while the ratio test uses the limit of the ratio of consecutive coefficients.

When should I use the root test and when should I use the ratio test in determining the radius of convergence?

The root test is typically used for series with non-negative coefficients, while the ratio test is used for both positive and negative coefficients. However, both tests can be used for any series as long as the proper conditions are met.

How do I know if a power series has a finite or infinite radius of convergence?

If the limit of the nth root or ratio of consecutive coefficients is less than 1, the series will have a finite radius of convergence. If the limit is equal to 1, the series may have a finite or infinite radius of convergence, and further tests will need to be conducted to determine the exact radius.

Can the root and ratio tests be used interchangeably in determining the radius of convergence?

No, the root and ratio tests may yield different results for the same series. It is important to use both tests and compare the results to determine the true radius of convergence.

Are there any other methods for determining the radius of convergence of a power series?

Yes, there are other methods such as the integral test, comparison test, and alternating series test. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of series and can also be used to double-check the results of the root and ratio tests.