1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roots of a cubic polynomial

1. Aug 29, 2007 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the equation [tex]x^3+ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex]
    the coefficients a,b and c are all real. It is given that all the roots are real and greater than 1.
    (i) Prove that [tex]a<-3[/tex]
    (ii)By considering the sum of the squares of the roots,prove that [tex]a^2>2b+3[/tex]
    (iii)By considering the sum of the cubes of the roots,prove that [tex]a^3<-9b-3c-3[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

If the roots are A,B and C then A+B+C = a/1=a
    ABC= -c/a
    AB+AC+BC= b/a

3. The attempt at a solution

I do not know if there are any other formula for the squares/cubes of roots other than the ones i stated above; If there are any simpler ones please tell me.
    I got out parts (ii) by taking (A+B+C)=a and appropriately squaring it, but I was unable to get out parts (i) and (iii), could someone please help me prove it..thanks

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2007 #2
    Since the roots are real we know the polynomial factors into [itex](x-r_1)(x-r_2)(x-r_3)[/itex]. Look at how [itex](x-r_1)(x-r_2)(x-r_3)[/itex] multiplies out and look at a b and c in terms of the roots. For example, we know that c must be negative as [itex]-r_1r_2r_3=c<0[/itex]. We actually know [itex]c<-1[/itex] as each of these roots are greater than 1.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  4. Aug 29, 2007 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

thanks, I will re-try it and see now

5. Aug 29, 2007 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Aug 29, 2007 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point iii) is really tricky.

[tex] (A+B+C)^3 = A^3 +B^3 +C^3 -3ABC +3(A+B+C)(AB+AC+BC) [/tex]

which means

[tex] -a^3 =A^3 +B^3 +C^3 +3c -3ab > 3+3c+9b [/tex] ,

where i used the fact that the sum of the cubes is larger than 3 and the fact that a is smaller than -3.

Multiply by -1 and you're done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?