Rotary Transformer: Transferring Current & Power?

In summary, a rotary transformer can add power to the secondary side due to the rotation of one of the parts. It depends on the construction of the transformer.
Salvador
If I have a rotary transformer in order to transfer some current o or from a rotating part, I wonder doesn't it add some extra power induced from the rotational motion to the secondary side of the transformer , since atleast one part of it is rotating with respect to other.?

Like for example I supply an AC source of energy X to the stationary primary , and on the secondary which for example is on the rotating part I now get out the X supplied from the source to the primary + whatever energy the rotating part had?

Or does this is dependant on the way the transformer is wound (coil , core angles etc) ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Salvador said:
If I have a rotary transformer in order to transfer some current o or from a rotating part, I wonder doesn't it add some extra power induced from the rotational motion to the secondary side of the transformer , since atleast one part of it is rotating with respect to other.?

Like for example I supply an AC source of energy X to the stationary primary , and on the secondary which for example is on the rotating part I now get out the X supplied from the source to the primary + whatever energy the rotating part had?

Or does this is dependant on the way the transformer is wound (coil , core angles etc) ?

I would think it would depend on the construction. Can you post pictures or drawings of the rotary transformer you intend to use? Are you transferring just information, or are you transferring power too?

well i don't have a particular design in mind , I was interested to this as more of a general question, in this particular case I was interested in power rather than signal transfer.

mayeb two more specific question if I may. Firstly I wonder what would happen if I had a toroidal transformer and supplied some power and waveform X to the primary and then to addition to that spun the transformer core itself (cant be done physically but just for thought) , what would result in the secondary , would there be the power X +whatever was added from the core or just X? This is kinda rotary transformer related I guess.

secondly I was thinking could a rotary transformer be used instead of brushes for a device that has a changing magnetic field in it's rotor , like a DC generator , or more specifically in a faraday disc which spins in a AC induced field for example?

Bump...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Rotary Transformer: Transferring Current & Power?

1. What is a rotary transformer and how does it work?

A rotary transformer is an electrical device that transfers electrical current and power from one circuit to another using electromagnetic induction. It consists of a primary winding and a secondary winding, which are connected through a rotating magnetic core. As the primary winding rotates, it induces a current in the secondary winding, allowing for the transfer of power and current between the two circuits.

2. What are the advantages of using a rotary transformer?

One of the main advantages of a rotary transformer is its ability to transfer high amounts of power and current with minimal losses. It also offers galvanic isolation between the primary and secondary circuits, providing protection against electrical interference. Additionally, rotary transformers can operate at high speeds and handle high frequencies, making them suitable for a variety of applications.

3. What are the applications of a rotary transformer?

Rotary transformers are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and renewable energy. They are often used in motor drives, power converters, and in wind turbines to transfer power between rotating and stationary parts. They can also be found in medical equipment, aerospace systems, and military technology.

4. How do you choose the right rotary transformer for a specific application?

The selection of a rotary transformer depends on various factors, including the input and output voltage and current ratings, frequency requirements, and the type of load it will be powering. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer and consider the specific requirements of the application to determine the appropriate size and type of rotary transformer.

5. What are the potential challenges or limitations of using a rotary transformer?

One of the main challenges of using a rotary transformer is its mechanical complexity, which requires regular maintenance and can increase the overall cost. Additionally, the rotating parts can introduce increased wear and tear, leading to potential failures. Careful design and proper installation are crucial to ensuring the reliable operation of a rotary transformer.