Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating bicycle wheel question

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1

Gold Member

Today I assisted to a lecture I didn't understand in Physics I.
    I've asked to a helper-teacher a question and he made me much more confused.
    Say I have a rotating bicycle wheel in my hands (my hands don't influence the wheel's rotation) in front of me such that the wheel is in a vertical plane only. If I want to change the plane from the vertical to the horizontal, in what direction must I apply a force on the wheel? The helper told me "down". I said OK and left the class. While I was leaving I was completely mixed up. Does that mean that if the wheel rotates at say 10000 Hz, I wouldn't be able to inclinate it from vertical to horizontal, even if the wheel is in the air and that I put all my weight on it? It would inclinate a very bit and at last it would fall off the floor. But this implies that the wheel can get stuck in the air for a while if it rotates at a high angular speed and in a vertical plane. Is that true? I just can't believe it!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey fluidistic! :smile:

(assister? mais non, "assist" means "help" … you attended a lecture :wink:)

You can turn the wheel … but it may need a lot of force (torque) … and you may have to rotate yourself ("do a cartwheel") to compensate. :smile:

See this.
  4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

You need to applied torque perpendicular to the axis, not a force, with the response being 90 degrees out of phase with the torque you apply. In this case you need to apply a yawing torque (turning around while holding the wheel will do the trick), and it will respond with a roll reaction.
  5. Nov 1, 2008 #4

Gold Member

Thanks both for your replies.
    When I turned off the computer yesterday I realized I was wrong in something : I thought that the wheel would preserve its vertical plane but also its position in space which is untrue. Of course if I let the wheel fall off it will fall and not stay in the air as I thought. But I understand now that it will fall conserving its vertical plane and when it will reach the floor it will begin to roll.
    I'm getting the concept, but I must read more on this. Especially on couple (torque?).
  6. Nov 2, 2008 #5
    Go to the Wikipedia pages on force couple and also torque.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?