Rotating body moment of inertia

In summary, the individual has completed lab work but is now having difficulty finding data on the web to answer theoretical questions. They have added pictures of their experiment and are seeking help from others to better understand the concept of moment of inertia and how it changes when a body rotates. The discussion also touches on the potential scenario of a rod rotating around a different axis and how that affects its moment of inertia. Further clarification is needed for a clear understanding of the situation.
Ugnius
Homework Statement
1. When is the moment of inertia of the body is bigger from perspective of the axis , when body is rotating or when it is not?
2. In which case monolitic rod has a bigger moment of inertia: a) on perspective of axis , going horizontaly thought rods center of mass; b) on perspective of axis , going verticaly thought rods center of mass? Why
Relevant Equations
None
I have done some lab work , and now i have to answer some theoretical questions , but i can not find any data about this on the web or atleast i don't know where to search , i will add some pictures of experiment for you to better understand it. I was wondering can someone share their knowledge or papers to help me understand this.

Attachments

• 1605879826774.png
    1605879826774.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 119
Physics news on Phys.org
Ugnius said:
1. When is the moment of inertia of the body is bigger from perspective of the axis , when body is rotating or when it is not?
It's not clear (to me, at least) what "body" you are referring to. In any case, does the moment of inertia of a body change when the body rotates?

Is it possible that @Ugnius is thinking about a rod which is initially vertical (like a fence post) with a moment of inertia calculated about a vertical axis? Then having that rod rotate about some other axis (like a fence post tipping over). Then we calculate its moment of inertia about a vertical axis again. And find, unsurprisingly, that the moment of inertia has changed.

Likes Doc Al
I'm sure that's what's going on, but let's await further clarification.

What is the rotating body moment of inertia?

The rotating body moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but instead measures the object's distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

How is the rotating body moment of inertia calculated?

The rotating body moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each individual particle in the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing these values for all particles. This calculation is represented by the equation I = ∑mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What factors affect the rotating body moment of inertia?

The rotating body moment of inertia is affected by the mass of the object, the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation, and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. Objects with a larger mass, more spread out mass distribution, and greater distance from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia.

Why is the rotating body moment of inertia important?

The rotating body moment of inertia is important because it affects an object's rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to rotate, and will therefore have a slower rotational speed. This concept is used in many applications, such as in designing vehicles and machines.

How does the rotating body moment of inertia relate to angular momentum?

The rotating body moment of inertia and angular momentum are directly proportional. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the angular momentum also increases. This relationship is represented by the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.