Rotating Bucket Dynamics: Oil vs. Water Surface Shapes

In summary, when considering a bucket quarter filled with oil rotating at an angular velocity ω, the equation of the surface h(x) can be derived by using the equation ##\frac{dh}{dx}=\frac{m\omega^2x}{mg}##, where h is measured from the lowest point of the surface and x is measured from the rotational axis. This equation can also be applied when using water instead of oil, as the shape of the surface will not change.
rbwang1225

Homework Statement

Consider a bucket quarter filled with oil. When the bucket is rotating with the angular velocity ω, derive the equation of the surface h(x), where h is measured from the lowest of the surface and x is measured from the rotational axis. Does it change if we replace oil by water?

Homework Equations

##mω^2x=##centrifugal acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling the force diagram of the curled-up oil surface, but don't have a clear confirmation.
bucket.jpeg

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
2x would be centrifugal force, not acceleration. Drop the m to get acceleration (f = m*a). Force is just a scaled version of acceleration when the mass stays the same :wink:

At steady state You expect a small parcel of fluid at a point on the surface to remain stationary relative to the the fluid around it, so any net acceleration must be directed along the surface normal passing through the parcel and into the body of fluid. That gives you a clue for finding the slope of the surface at any distance from the rotation axis. Then use the fact that df/dx gives the slope of f(x) ...

Dear gneill:

Sorry for the typo. Here is my calculation
##\frac{dh}{dx}=\frac{m\omega^2x}{mg}##
Therefore, ##h-h_0=\frac{1}{2}\frac{\omega^2}{g}x^2##, where ##h## is the height measured from the surface to the bottom.
Am I right? I am still not clear about what you meant by "any net acceleration must be directed along the surface normal passing through the parcel and into the body of fluid".

Sincerely.

rbwang1225 said:
Dear gneill:

Sorry for the typo. Here is my calculation
##\frac{dh}{dx}=\frac{m\omega^2x}{mg}##
Therefore, ##h-h_0=\frac{1}{2}\frac{\omega^2}{g}x^2##, where ##h## is the height measured from the surface to the bottom.
Am I right? I am still not clear about what you meant by "any net acceleration must be directed along the surface normal passing through the parcel and into the body of fluid".

Sincerely.

Looks okay. The idea I was trying to across is that if the surface of the water is to remain still when it reaches steady state, there can be no further flow. So a small parcel of water at the surface can't experience any net force parallel to the surface -- otherwise it would want to move along the surface. So any net force (acceleration) that the parcel feels must be in a direction along the normal to the surface, and in fact directly into the surface (otherwise the parcel would rise off the surface).

I think I got the idea!
Here is my final force diagram of the system.
bucket.jpeg

And therefore, the answer for the second question is that the shape will not change if water is used.

rbwang1225 said:
I think I got the idea!
Here is my final force diagram of the system.
View attachment 54104
And therefore, the answer for the second question is that the shape will not change if water is used.

Sounds good to me :approve:

1. What is a rotating bucket with fluid?

A rotating bucket with fluid is a scientific demonstration that illustrates the concept of centripetal force. It consists of a bucket filled with water or any other fluid, attached to a rope and rotated around a central axis.

2. How does a rotating bucket with fluid work?

When the bucket is rotated, the fluid inside moves towards the outer edge due to the centrifugal force. This creates a curved surface on the fluid, and the faster the rotation, the higher the curved surface will be. The curved surface creates a pressure gradient, causing the fluid to move towards the center of rotation.

3. What is the purpose of a rotating bucket with fluid demonstration?

The purpose of the demonstration is to show how centripetal force acts on a fluid in a rotating system. It helps to understand the concept of centripetal acceleration and its effects on objects in circular motion.

4. What factors affect the behavior of the fluid in a rotating bucket?

The behavior of the fluid is affected by the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the bucket, and the density and viscosity of the fluid. These factors determine the magnitude of the centripetal force and the resulting motion of the fluid.

5. Can a rotating bucket with fluid demonstration be used to explain real-world phenomena?

Yes, the concept of centripetal force demonstrated by a rotating bucket with fluid can be applied to real-world phenomena such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and the rotation of the Earth. It also helps to understand the behavior of fluids in centrifuges and other rotating machinery.